Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettaorr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just tested my water in 30 gallon

Ph. 6

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 50
Nitrite 0.8

Is this bad or ok

That's terrible. Ammonia is good, ph is fine. Nitrite and trates are too high. Do a 50% WC immediately. Go buy a quality conditioner like prime. Tank doesn't seem cycled?

That's terrible. Ammonia is good, ph is fine. Nitrite and trates are too high. Do a 50% WC immediately. Go buy a quality conditioner like prime. Tank doesn't seem cycled?

Everything was good up till td I did water changes it goes for a bit but then goes right back up I just had this problem with my 10 gallon and added salt so I added salt to this tank will do another test in a few hour Also did a 50% change

Are you cycling the tank? How long has it been set up? Why did you add salt? What goes up every time you do a WC? Your information is too incomplete to address whatever your problem is. Also have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

Are you cycling the tank? How long has it been set up? Why did you add salt? What goes up every time you do a WC? Your information is too incomplete to address whatever your problem is. Also have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

The tank has been running for 2 months I added the salt cause last time I did that with my 10 it worked. My ph and ammonia are always good but my nitrate and nitrites are out of wack again I just went threw this with a 10 gallon. I have tested the water and it was always 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate and nitrites so far td I did a 20 and 70% water change when I did the 70 the everything was good now just to wait and test again in the am

The tank has been running for 2 months I added the salt cause last time I did that with my 10 it worked. My ph and ammonia are always good but my nitrate and nitrites are out of wack again I just went threw this with a 10 gallon. I have tested the water and it was always 0 ammonia and 0 nitrate and nitrites so far td I did a 20 and 70% water change when I did the 70 the everything was good now just to wait and test again in the am

Also I just added my fish about 2 days ago cause I had to get rid of the 10 gallon tank had no room for it

Well for starters your ph is 6 which means beneficial bacteria have stopped working and start dying off. Do you do weekly 50% WC's? If so and your ph is 6 have you tested your tap water's ph? In order to do that you need to put tap water in a cup and either aerate it or stir it off and on for 24 hours in order for it to gass off. Then do a ph reading and this is your taps true ph.

Do you vacuum your gravel or overfeed? Too much detris in substrate can cause high nitrates.

Now you've added fish which even puts more stress on the tank. For starters I know you've done WC's but you need to keep doing them 2 or 3 a day with a couple hours rest in between them until you get nitrates down to 20ppm or lower. This should also help add buffers back into your water so ph raises (unless you have a low ph/kh tap water reading). If you continue to have low ph issues you need to get some crushed coral and either add it to your filter or put it in a media bag and hang it under your filter outflow. CC will add buffers back into the water and raise ph. But your tank is going to have to at least do a bit of cycling or completely recycle depending on how long your ph has been that low.

Salt really isn't helping anything with this issue. Also just so you know if you tested your water and it was always 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates, then your tank was never cycled to begin with.

Well for starters your ph is 6 which means beneficial bacteria have stopped working and start dying off. Do you do weekly 50% WC's? If so and your ph is 6 have you tested your tap water's ph? In order to do that you need to put tap water in a cup and either aerate it or stir it off and on for 24 hours in order for it to gass off. Then do a ph reading and this is your taps true ph.

Do you vacuum your gravel or overfeed? Too much detris in substrate can cause high nitrates.

Now you've added fish which even puts more stress on the tank. For starters I know you've done WC's but you need to keep doing them 2 or 3 a day with a couple hours rest in between them until you get nitrates down to 20ppm or lower. This should also help add buffers back into your water so ph raises (unless you have a low ph/kh tap water reading). If you continue to have low ph issues you need to get some crushed coral and either add it to your filter or put it in a media bag and hang it under your filter outflow. CC will add buffers back into the water and raise ph. But your tank is going to have to at least do a bit of cycling or completely recycle depending on how long your ph has been that low.

Salt really isn't helping anything with this issue. Also just so you know if you tested your water and it was always 0 for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates, then your tank was never cycled to begin with.

I do weekly water changes of 20%. I did test the tap water when I had the issue the last time and it was 7. I do vacuum my gravel and I only feed once a day. The reason I adds the fish is cause everything was good. Today I did 3 water changes. My tap water is always giving me 0 my ammonia in the tank has been showen 0 for 2 weekend or so and my nitrites were 0 and my nitrates were 10 untill today

If your Ph is 6 today you need to get it raised using crushed coral as I suggested. Nitrites are actually more toxic to fish in a low ph. Do WC's until you get the nitrite reading down to .25ppm or lower if at all possible.

Back
Top Bottom