Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palechek13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389812323.199699.jpg
This tank is about 3 weeks old and the water is green. I have live plants and slate rocks. I checked nitrate levels 3 days in a row and they are at 0. I'm very confused on why it's green and how can I fix it? Please help quick.

I see you didn't added any fishs and that's good thing. First, your tank is not cycled, so you may have 0 nitrates, but some ammonia or nitrites.

Ammonia/nitrite is excelent nutrient source for monocellular green algae. If you're new to aquariums, then you have to know maybe you don't test correctly your water. On your nitrate test, you have 2 or 3 bottles. If you have 2 bottles, then bottle#2 must be shaked, if you have 3 bottles, then bottle #3 must be shaked.

By shaked, I mean shake it like as if your life depends of it, bang it on a table... Then you may have better chances to have a reading.

Green water is caused by excess light most of the time. Do you run a light timer? How much light/day? What's your light fixture ? Is your tank exposed to direct sunlight during any moment of the day ? Green water tend to eat nitrates very fast.

If it's you're first tank, then you're a noob to the hobby, and I will recommand you to read about the nitrogen cycle, that's one of the most important thing in the hobby. That's just general advice to new aquarist :)

If your tank have no fish, then just do a 100%WC... Dont rinse filter media under tap.

Note that green water is not harmfull for fishs.

Water changes will help, what filter/ filters are you running. Are they sufficient for the volume of water ? Did you clean all the rocks before putting them in the tank ? Did you clean the gravel/sand before putting in it the tank? Has the cloudy water just happened suddenly or has it been like that for the 3 weeks?

This is my 4th tank. I washed everything before I added it. I have a marine land bio wheel filter rated for 55 gallons. I also put a we'll cycled filter from my other tank. I also added safe start to get it going faster. There is bacteria growth already on the filter. I also have a small pleco in there to promote waste. My light runs from 715 am til about 10 pm. I shut my blinds so there is no direct sunlight. I've done 2 50% water changes and it cleared a little bit. Should I just let it keep cycling or do a whole water change? None of my other tanks ever had this problem.

I found your problem, that's your light timer. 12hrs/days should be the maxium. I will say to remove this problem, keep light open 6hrs/day, then increase it slowly +1hrs/day/week.

What's the light fixture ? Do you dose ferts ?

Now you light it 15hrs/day... Really too much !

On my 29g hightech setup, I can't open lights for more than 6 hrs/days, or the water become green like you.

I think your photo period ( time with tank lights on) is far to long I've found 10 hours a day maximum works for me. I would plug your lights into a auto timer so it will turn your lights on and off for you at the exact times you want without you having to remember to do it.

That makes sense I never was told this or read about light timing. So I turn it on at 7 before school then around 6 or 7 pm I should turn it off? How long will it take for the water to be clear? I tried aqua clear and I used aqua safe to try and clear it. I use the aqua safe every month for the slime coats. I'm using an aqueon lamp with a 500 watt fluorescent bulb. I appreciate the help.

That makes sense I never was told this or read about light timing. So I turn it on at 7 before school then around 6 or 7 pm I should turn it off? How long will it take for the water to be clear? I tried aqua clear and I used aqua safe to try and clear it. I use the aqua safe every month for the slime coats. I'm using an aqueon lamp with a 500 watt fluorescent bulb. I appreciate the help.

The more the light is powerfull, the less photoperiod needed. How much gallon your tank ? 500 watt seems way too much, I have 2x39w on my 29g and it's too much.

When you deal with green water, you must turn light to minimum photoperiod. 6hrs/day. Start it at 4pm and close it at 10pm.

I would recommend an automatic timer I think you can pick them up for a couple of bucks at wal mart. As mrvincent said you should go right down to six hours a day and then build up to max 12 hours over weeks. Isn't 500 watts a bit on the high side I've never had aqueon lamp but I run two 38 watt t8's and that's plenty for my live plants.

You can keep your light closed for 3-4 days to start, and cover your tank with a black towel, so no light from the outside reach it. Make 50%WC, feed your pleco, blackout for 3-4 days and don't seek under the towel, then start with 6hrs/day lighting with another 50% WC to remove dead algae.

My mistake lol i thought it was 50 ( I added to many zeros) but it's a 42 watt flora sun bulb. I will turn it off as soon as I get home. I'm glad you guys told me this. I'm gonna pick up that automatic timer. Does it work on any sort of light?

Yeah its mainly sold for house lamps to trick people into thinking your at home when your not. The advantage is you can set your lights on and off without you being there.

You only have to buy a 110V normal timer, it fit any AC electrical unit.

You can plug pumps, lights, computer (I not recommand), co2 solenoid valves or anything else on it !

I have three aquariums and 4 timer. (One more for the CO2 on my hightech setup)

You can keep your light closed for 3-4 days to start, and cover your tank with a black towel, so no light from the outside reach it. Make 50%WC, feed your pleco, blackout for 3-4 days and don't seek under the towel, then start with 6hrs/day lighting with another 50% WC to remove dead algae.

Oh the dreaded black towels I used to hate having to look at but it does work.

That sounds very nice I can't wait to buy that haha I have school and work so that is gonna be very convenient. Also about the towel thing.. So I feed the pleco then cover the tank for 3-4 days then do 6 hours a day and you said don't 'seek' under the towel.. What did you exactly mean?

Back
Top Bottom