Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, somehow a leaky bottle of tide detergent dripped some detergent in my 10 gallon quarantine tank. We had 2 pregnant guppies who did not survive, 2 African dwarf frogs, and a platy. We moved the adf and platy to a Tupperware container for the time being, but what are the chances they are going to survive? Also, I probably have to throw away the substrate and the filter media correct? My plan is to put the remaining fish and frogs in one of those 2 gallon critter keepers for the night, so I can thoroughly clean out the tank and filter in the morning, and buy new media. I know the tank will have to be cycled all over again, but I will have to do it fish in because the platy is still really new, and I don't want to risk adding it to the community tank just yet. Is there anything else that I am missing? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just tear is down and clean everything with vinegar or a 1/10 bleach/water solution and let it air dry. With daily testing and water changes you should be fine as a fish in cycle.

Caleb

The filter media is the only thing you should have to toss.

After the rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again, and again, and again, it should be okay.

Can you use some media from your community tank to instantly cycle the quarantine tank?

Detergents have something called Surfactants in them. Long story short they let the oxygen out of the water. Different species have different tolerances for low oxygen. Wash it really good. I don't know if there is any benefit to vinegar. Residual vinegar might eat up your alkalinity but probably not if you wash it well. I would just wash everything with water until there are no more suds. You will have to cycle the tank again. Your surviving fish should appear healthy in there new water? I think they should be fine.

Respectfully, I don't think it is necessary to throw anything away as long as it was rinsed well. Bacteria can break down residual Surfactants. You may get an algae bloom because some detergents also have a lot of phosphate in them. Phosphate causes algae.

Thank you for the responses. So far, the lone surviving fish, and the frogs are going well. They are still in the kritter keeper, as we are just now finding the time to clean out the old tank. Good thing, as the surviving fish was my daughters new friend!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom