help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mking

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hoping someone can help. so i HAD a tank that was cycled fishless about a year ago. while on holidays my pet sitter decided it would be a great idea to empty and clean my tank. three weeks later i still can't manage to get the water parameters correct. The nitrites were way pass what the test kit would read so 5.0 ppm plus. so i have been doing 50% water changes every day for the last three weeks and I'm using sachem prime water conditioner. i know the pwc are stressful but the nitrites are extremly high and more dangerous. the readings tonight are ( using the api master test kit) before the 50% pwc.

ammonia- 0.25 ppm
nitrite - 5.0 ppm
nitrate- 5.0 ppm
high range ph- 7.4
ph - 7.6
temp- 27 deg
20 gal tank
aqua 20-40 filter
fish- 1 blue dwarf gourami, brittleness pelco, and 3 mollies!

i read so many fish in cycle forums but most people seem to have more problems with ammonia. do these numbers add up for a "fish in cycle" which I'm guessing is exactly what I'm doing now that the tank has been wipe clean of any beneficial bacteria. does prime affect the reading if i test it after words? some people are saying it don't and others are saying it do for 24 hours. should i just continue the 50% pwc with prime????? a fishless cycle was so much easier and less stressful on me and the fish!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm not aware of Prime affecting test readings.
Yes, continue with water changes + Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've tested before a water change and 12hrs later with the numbers making sense. My water conditioner is seachem safe/prime. I haven't noticed it causing a problem reading.

You could try that test and see what you get.

Back
Top Bottom