Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitlin86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am majorely worried!!My 4 year old son and 3 year old daughter were bought 1 betta fish with a 3 litre bowl each by my aunt. Right when we recieved these beautiful little fish I started my research and realized how horrible it was to keep these living..feeling beings in 3 litres if water. Right away I went out and purchased a 10gallon tank with a divider for the 2 fish. Now here is my concern...I am 4 days in2 cycling the 10 gallon while oir 2 bettas r in 3 litre bowls. Should I add the bettas to the 10 gallon b4 its done cycling or leave them in their bowls which btw werent cycled..dont have a heater or a filter. I feel so guilty that these fish r living in the conditions they r currently in but do not want to cause more damage. My only goal is 2 give these 2 fish the wonderful life they deserve. Please someone help me!!

Do you have a heater or small filter for the 10 gallon? If so they can go in there straight away. The cycle will not begin until you have a source of ammonia in the new water. The fish and their feed will provide that but the ammonia will begin to build up until the cycle finishes which means for about 5 weeks you need to replace 5 gallons of water daily with the water from your tap that has been treated with a dechlorinator. Seachems prime (if you're in the US) will also provide extra protection from ammonia.

In the meantime you can read up on the nitrogen cycle and buy yourself a liquid test kit such as the API freshwater master test kit for confirmation the cycle has completed. Don't panic. If you follow this advice and feed lightly the fish will be fine. They need to be out of those tiny bowls.

For basic care including temperature/feeding requirements someone with more experience keeping bettas will be along shortly.

Enjoy your new fish!

Thanks so much Caliban07 4 taking ur time out and replying. I do have a filter..heater..live plants...api testing kit and prime by seachum. How would I introduce the bettas to the tank...should i float them until the water temp is the same and add a bit if the aquarium water to the floating bags? Ive beem doing alot of research and some of it contradicts itself...I just want 2 do the right thing.

Thanks so much Caliban07 4 taking ur time out and replying. I do have a filter..heater..live plants...api testing kit and prime by seachum. How would I introduce the bettas to the tank...should i float them until the water temp is the same and add a bit if the aquarium water to the floating bags? Ive beem doing alot of research and some of it contradicts itself...I just want 2 do the right thing.

That's ok. Yes, float for 10-15 mins. Bit if aquarium water in the bag a few times then in they go. If you don't want the store water to go in to your tank you can tip them very gently in to a net the lower them in to the water.

I'm in a similar situation right now! I saved a betta fish without having a cycled tank so had to quickly set one up.. With my tank, I've found that for the last week or so using Prime has really really helped as if tends to keep nitrites, nitrates and ammonia down as well as de-chlorinating the water which most other ones don't!

If you keep up with a daily water change until your tank is fully cycled you should be okay, I've found that betta's don't produce as much waste as other fish (as long as you're not overfeeding them) which is helpful as it reduces the chances of an ammonia spike during the cycle. I've been doing water changes of about 50% and each time I've been adding Fluval Cycle, which is a bacterial booster.. I really believe this has sped up my cycle as now I have no ammonia, less than .10 nitrites and around 5ppm of nitrates which is great considering the tank has only been set up just over a week! So if you can get your hands on that I would really recommend it :)

Back
Top Bottom