help !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snwsk8r8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a male betta and a baby koi or comet together and im not sure if they will be ok .. the betta chases the baby once in awhile but he cannot catch him

The betta is a warmer water fish than the koi and the koi will get very large, also fin nipping will eventually become a problem if it isnt already. Comets get very large as well, so either way your looking at a big fish with a small fish. What size is the aquarium?

im just keeping the baby in there so hes safe cuz im not sure how he will be in my pond .. once he gets bigger im going to move him back . id like to keep him in there for now unless it is no good

Oh, well in the case, how long has the beta been in the tank? How large is the tank. And how big is the koi/comet? My beta half heartedly chases my platies sometimes, he never actually fin nips, just kinda swims behind them. Keep an eye out for their fins, if they start to get nipped you can put the beta in a smaller tank or something temporarily, he'll be fine for a while.
again, how large is the tank?

ok its pretty small less than a gallon
the betta has been in there mayb a week and a half
the koi/comet is mayb a half inch 3/4 inch

Are you sure its less than a gallon? thats pretty tiny, your beta isnt happy because he's so cramped, if i were you i would atleast go get a big bowl out of the kitchen or something and make that your betas temporary home.

what about the gallon water jugs i have with poland spring water is that ok for him

Yeah, jst dont fill it up completely to the neck so it has more surface area, also, leave the lid off the jug. Make sure you use dechlorinated water. I dont really know anything about poland spring water.

or do you think it would be better to put the baby in the jug

No, he produces more waste and needs more room, besides that what if he got to big and you coudlnt get him out of the jug lol.

i wouldve just cut off the top of the jug
do u think water lettuce is enough oxygen for the baby

Not sure what water lettuce is, if he starts to stay at the top you could just run an airstone and do a water change i suppose, cant help you with that one, sorry.

To put it bluntly, your setup is not sufficient for what you have. Below is an example of how large a goldfish can get.
big-fish_bruce_060602.jpg

Also, goldfish are coldwater fish and Bettas are warmwater. They are from two completely different environments. It would be like putting a Polar Bear and a Panda Bear in the same enclosure at the zoo. It's just not a good idea.

im just keeping the baby in there so hes safe cuz im not sure how he will be in my pond .. once he gets bigger im going to move him back
He doesn't intend for this to be the Koi's permanent home. Yes they get big, but he said the koi is only 3/4 of an inch now and will go to the pond when it gets big enough.

They do have different water temperature needs though. I'd move the betta out. Is there anyway you could get a little 2.5g tank for the betta? They should sell them at most pet/fish stores. That would be a more appropriate home for the betta. I don't like keeping them in tanks under that.

You also may need to get a bigger tank or container for the koi. I'd pick up a 10g if you can and get a filter. They do produce alot of waste, so a tank with a filter would be better. Then when it gets big enough to go to the pond, you can use the 10g for future baby koi or something else.

Back
Top Bottom