Help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I came into my room and found that none of my fish were moving, they were all at 1 side of the tank, then 1 angel went crazy and flipped out and stoped moving again!!!, then to my horror i found my temp display in the tank!! my cat must of knocked it in!!!! i just pulled it out the tank with my hand ( looking back at it, that was very stupid!!!) anyways the fish are alive but none of them are moving around, they are staying in 1 place as though they are in shock! are they ok, have they got a shock from the display!!! has some of the chemicals from the display got into the water???? i dont now what to do!!!! please help :( !!!!

I don't really know what the display is that you are talking about. A temerature display, like a thermometer? Battery powered or electrical?

If you have fresh activated carbon, add some into the filter. Also, try a water change, without stressing the fish as much as possible, and see if they perk up.

HTH

So far i have lost 1 krib, yeah its a temperature display, and its powered by a 9V battery! i have done a 20% water change and added fresh carbon!

Whats the temp in the tank?

If contanination is the concern, I'd do a larger change.

the temp is always at 90f and i have done another water change at 40%

90 f?

bath water isnt always that warm, tropical fish like water 76-78, your boiling them, even when treating ich you only raise the water to 86f

hot water accelerates a fish's life span

yeah i no :-( i cant lower it!!!! i have 2 fans that run across it!!! my other tank is a 80f, and they are next to each other!!!!

what do you mean you can't lower it? Is it sitting next to a window or something like that? Do you still have the heater on? I'm not understanding.

If the temperature is too hot in my tanks from something like that...I've dropped ice cubes into it with a capful of stress coat.

You might try that if you have no other options.

Sorry, ermm they are next to each other, the heat from the lights makes the water temp higher to 90f, if i do add ice then within 2 hours it will be back i cant keep addin ice everyday of my life! atm i am looking at a new lighting system, i did not now having them temp that high would shorten the life span! In the morning its at 79f, but as soon as the lights go on it increases!!! so i need 2 save and get something else for it, anyways, my fish are getting better, but wont even think about eating! I have lost 1 krib, and i have added all the carbon i can! i have kept the lights off and get the room light to the lowest amount possible to reduce any stress, dont actually now if it will help but... worth a try!!!!

what do you mean you leave the lights on? you mean you keep a flourescent light going 15+ hours a day?

unless the fish are in total dark, i wouldnt leave a light on that long, unless you have some weird exotic plants

also, if you know your tank is gonna get fried, turn the heater down of off while the lights are on.

please note, that constant changes in water temp adds alot of stress to fish, i mean sure my tank is set at 78, but because its near a window, gets up to 80 is fine, but everyday your temp changing from 78f-90f is a bit extreme for alot of fish

Since i had the tank the heater has never been on, no need ( i had 2 temp displays, now 1 , with an alarm so i would now if the water temp went below 78f, and it never did, but at night is dose go down to 82f), i keep the lights on for about 9-10 hours. Since yesterday I have done some DIY, (well my dad really) we have managed to raise the lighting up from the water level, to now give a 4inch gap! instead of the old 1 inch gap! I have also taken out the reflector to see if that will help reduce the heat!!!!

I'll tell you the results of it, they have been at that temp for about 2-3 months!ekk!! Btw i have turned the heater os now, just in case their is a dramatic improvement, i dont wont to shock them, im going to be in the room most of the day so i can monitor and react accordingly!

In the morning its at 79f, but as soon as the lights go on it increases!!!
That is a huge temp swing to occur twice daily. I would stop using the lights. The fish won't die due to being in the dark until you can get the funds for a new light. The ballast broke on my 80 gal months ago and they do fine with ambient light.

check the temp with another thermometer. i've had similar problems recently myself. mine stemmed from the recent heatwave and a dodgy thermometer. the thermometer i was using at the time now reads 39C in my coldwater tank while my heated tank reads 27C.

verify your temps before trying to alter them.

I don't know if someone already mentioned it but the fish were probably also having a hard time getting enough O2. Warmer water holds less O2. That is a big flucuation.

I would try some small fans blowing across the water now that you have that gap.

If you can get it down to about 82 the highest you should be fine. Set the heater for the highest temp. that is flucuates so it stays the same all the time. If it is 80 all day, set it to 80. A little warmer is better than big temp. drops.

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having problems: let us know how things go and if they improve.
Here are some recommendations:

1. Turn off your lights asap, and leave them off until you can get that issue resolved. If they are creating too much heat, you are best with them off. Fish do not need so much light as a flourescent gives off (it's primarily for viewing, to give them a sense of day and night, and for plants).

2. I wouldn't drop ice cubes directly into your tank as was suggested: you might prefer to float a bottle of frozen water in the top instead. It will work for longer, will avoid exposing your fish to tap water, and will provide a gradual change in temperature as opposed to a sudden one. I had to do this in the recent heatwave too, and it worked just fine (my temp went up to 30c in one tank at one point and I reduced it to 28c with this method).

3. I wouldn't change so much water all in one go: the changes in condition will stress your fish. You are best changing 20% on day one, and then another 20% on day two rather than 40% in one go. But, you do need to change water out just in case of contamination as people have said. Don't put cold water in, thinking it will help reduce temperature. It will only shock them further. Make it slightly cooler than it currently is. Every water change you do, reduce the temperature slightly so it's a gradual process. If you are only doing weekly water changes at the moment I would up it to twice weekly anyway for now.

4. Add an airstone/bubble disc. As has been said: higher temperature means less dissolved oxygen in the water. This will not be helping your fish at all. Adding an airstone will add more oxygen.

Remedial issues:

1. Where are your tanks positioned in the room, that might explain why they are getting so hot? And, how big are they? I would seriously consider moving them to a cooler spot if that's at all possible (I know moving tanks is a real tough one, but it can be done: I've just helped someone move one 3' and two 4' tanks to make way for a 6' and while it's back breaking it's not impossible if you make a clear plan and do it with common sense: i.e. emptying tanks and so on!).

2. What light fitting/tubes are you using? Are you using halogens?! What size tank do you have, and what is the wattage output of your bulb/tube? The smaller the tank, the less output you need...I'd really recommend replacing your lighting system if it's causing such increases in temperature.

3. You are best using the ye olde fashioned glass thermometers. They work better than digital, and are safer than probe therms. If it 'aint broke don't fix it they say, and glass therms have never ever caused me a problem in all the years I've been using 'em :)

90F... I assume you don't have air conditioning? You seem to indicate that the lights are causing all the heat, but there must be some other issue (like ambient temp being quite high). Can flourescent lighting alone cause the water to get that hot?

CaysE said:
90F... I assume you don't have air conditioning? You seem to indicate that the lights are causing all the heat, but there must be some other issue (like ambient temp being quite high). Can flourescent lighting alone cause the water to get that hot?

yes it can, just like how leaving a tank near a window will heat it up a couple degrees, a flourescent light being on that long is toasting the tank. also in order for his tank to get that warm, do to lack of air conditioning, the house would need to be 100+ degrees
the tank is always naturally cooler than the air, ever notice that even if you keep your house at 74 degrees the tank will still only be like 68

Sorry i took so long 2 got back to you!! I was trying to get ways asap!! Thanks for your help everyone:)!!! and coldmachineUK, i sadly cant move the tank and its next to a window but not in direct sunlight! is this y its always warmer than my other tank?? its a 45 gal with x2 30 watt, and i have just got a new glass thermometer as well as a digital 1!!!! its a juwel tank!!!! well i have raised the lights up even higher ( its looks so bad LOL) and now the temp is at 82f, and only drops down to 79f in the night!! i have set a thermometer up with the tank and my p.c long story short i recorded the tank temp over 2 days, the tank temp only changed by 3f!!!!!
That is a huge temp swing to occur twice daily. I would stop using the lights. The fish won't die due to being in the dark until you can get the funds for a new light. The ballast broke on my 80 gal months ago and they do fine with ambient light.
I really had no idea that i was killing my fish like that!!!! i feel so bad!!!
you brought it on yourself random, just turn the lights off...
Lol! Thanks for all ya recommendations coldmachineUK :) !!!
thanks for all your help!!!! i dident now i was killing my fish!!! they never looked bothered!! Thanks again everyone!

Back
Top Bottom