Help A.S.A.P - Peat Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crusis, I believe as bacteria breaks peat down it releases organics into the substrate which in turn keeps nutrients available to plant roots. When placed under the substrate it does not move pH much. In the end I tried mulm and peat under my newest aquarium simply because more experienced aquarists do it, but I believe it is a redox reaction.

Alternatively, ADA Aquasoil is an acidic substrate that will lower KH and pH in the water column without clouding or tinting the water. Pricey though (I am using it specifically to grow Tonina and Eriocaulon sp, two species known to love acidic substrate, after failing with Tonina sp. Belem in my other high light tank with aged Schultz).

Of course, a great way to lower pH while helping plants is CO2 injection.

HTH

Thanks, czcz... I have CO2 injection in my 75G planted community tank, but I'm setting up a multiple breeding tank system that I want to lower the Ph in. I'd rather use peat in the sump, in one of the tanks, etc than CO2 that isn't in a planted system. I plan on having some plants in the sump, so maybe I'll look into that Aquasoil for that.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom