Help!!! AC 50 stopped working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My AC 50 stopped working. I unplugged it while doing a PWC. Filled it up, plugged it in, and it doesn't work. Only 1 month old!

I have an AC20 on a 10g fishless cycling. Should I use that? I'm so lost on what to do. Petsmart where I bought it, is closed.

Currently 6 Harlequin Rasbora, 2 Cherry Barb and 8 ghost shrimp in this 29g tank. Water is turning cloudy!

Did you jiggle it? I know this sounds ridiculous, but this has happened to me with a different filter and I freaked out, but kept messing with it, pouring more water in it, etc and it eventually started up again. Hopefully someone else will have some more specific advice! Plus, I bet your fish will be ok overnight. Many people have power outages and the fish survive!

Pull out the impeller and give it a good rinse. Maybe even rinse out the filter. Maybe there is something sticking the impeller.

VioletEmber said:
Did you jiggle it? I know this sounds ridiculous, but this has happened to me with a different filter and I freaked out, but kept messing with it, pouring more water in it, etc and it eventually started up again. Hopefully someone else will have some more specific advice! Plus, I bet your fish will be ok overnight. Many people have power outages and the fish survive!

I'll keep trying. I can't make it to the store before work in the morning! :(

blert said:
Pull out the impeller and give it a good rinse. Maybe even rinse out the filter. Maybe there is something sticking the impeller.

I pulled it out and rinsed it off. Should I rinse out what the impeller slides down into? Idk what it's called.

Ceej said:
I pulled it out and rinsed it off. Should I rinse out what the impeller slides down into? Idk what it's called.

Yes, I would. Make sure that you float your media in the tank so it doesn't dry out while you are cleaning the filter housing.

When I screw the motor back on to the casing, the impeller hits the casing and pushes the impeller down onto the pin which stops it from spinning. Rinsed everything off in case dirt or something was in it.

blert said:
Yes, I would. Make sure that you float your media in the tank so it doesn't dry out while you are cleaning the filter housing.

Thank you! I did forget.

Fixed! Idk what was wrong. Sorry for freaking out lol, but I appreciate the help immensely, violet and blert!

Excellent. Probably just crud or sand or muck buildup in the impeller housing.

VioletEmber said:
Yay! Don't worry about freaking out, now you know what to do next time and saved yourself a trip to the store!

Haha, actually, it stopped working 20 minutes later. Didn't want to keep fiddling with it, so I turned my bubble wand on all night and went to go exchange it this morning. But you're right, I'll know what to do next time if it happens.

Back
Top Bottom