help!!!! again!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tao 2008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello everyone again , thanx for all of the help on the last problem...................... I now have a new 1!!! ive recently cycled my tank and now have 6 mountain minnows, 2 cory cats and sadly 2 neon tetras (as 4 have died) the other fish are happy and the water quality is very good as i have had it checked at the pet shop...... but today i realised my tank was getting this black slimey stuff on the gravel and on the ornaments (its a streak at the front of the tank) i have recently put some plants into the tank and have left the light on too long in the last 2 days ....ive looked on the net and found some help but need more ..........i would realy apreciate any help you can give me..........p.s . (the problem is not serious yet but want to stop it before it gets bad)

most likely just diatoms. Typical in many newly established tanks. You can continue to just wipe it off, but it really isn't doing much harm. It is caused by silicates in the aquarium and eventually their food supply will be exhausted and you will see them disappear.

It is black and not brown? Diatoms are a regular occurrence in newly cycled tanks. I wonder if that is what you are seeing?

It is black and not brown? Diatoms are a regular occurrence in newly cycled tanks. I wonder if that is what you are seeing?
thanx 4 the reply ......it is def black should i do water changes or leave it alone i realy dont want it to get worse ,is it harmfull to the fish i have ?

most likely just diatoms. Typical in many newly established tanks. You can continue to just wipe it off, but it really isn't doing much harm. It is caused by silicates in the aquarium and eventually their food supply will be exhausted and you will see them disappear.
sorry thought the other person replied ????? thanx 4 the reply ......it is def black should i do water changes or leave it alone i realy dont want it to get worse ,is it harmfull to the fish i have ? sorry thought the other person replied ?????

tao... the most important thing to fish keeping is patience. This is as much of an art as it is a hobby.

The number one rule in fish keeping is to not make drastic changes based on emotion. If you do this, you won't be able to figure out what impact your changes had on the situation, and you could potentially make it worse.

Nothing in this hobby happens fast.

Water changes are always a good thing. I would do about a 25% change. I am almost certain it is diatoms as most other black colored algae, like brush algae, and even green spot algae (which can look black) would not be easy to remove.

The fish will not be hurt by algae, infact they may eat it (depending on the type). Fish live in the wilderness where every imaginable algae is out there.

If you feel better doing a water change, do one.... but I would give it a while before the diatoms disappear.

P.S. My tank has been set up and running for 3 years, and I have slight algae in places.

thanx loads for the advice..... as you can probly tell im a complete novice and only been set up now for 1 month.......youre tank sounds cool is there any pics you could send

No worries, you will get the hang of it.

Try to relax and it will make the hobby much more enjoyable.

Here are some pictures of my tanks, one when I first set up and one now.

Just to give you some encouragement, things take time.

Keep in mind though, I am still like "Oh man, I still have so much work to do..." That never goes away. Thats why its a hobby and not a painting.

Attachments

• DSCN1722.jpg
    DSCN1722.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01000.jpg
    DSC01000.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 48
youre tank looks beautiful!!!.................. thanx 4 the encouragment ,the pic on the left looks cool but.... like ???.... as boring as mine does now! but hopefully with people like you! helping me out, ill soon get the hang of things thanx again !!

Back
Top Bottom