HELP Air Conditioning out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmpgop

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there - I'm worried about the temp in my fish tanks the next couple of days. I may be over reacting BUT I'm not sure.

So.... our air conditioning went out today. It'll be Tuesday before it gets replaced. It'll be 90 this weekend here (of course, the hottest weekend of the year and .... bummer).

I have 2 tanks (a 36 and a 72 gallon). Boesemani's, penguins, a pleco, Harlequins, and cherry barbs. I generally keep the temp around 77ish.

If my tanks get over 80ish with the weather being so hot, should I worry? And at what point should I worry? And then what should I do to cool them a bit. Grrrrr.

Generally I consider 82+ tooooo warm.

I just wanna be prepared. :ermm:

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Janelle

They could probably tolerate temps up to 86 for a short time. If it gets too hot, float frozen bottles of water in the tank.

The frozen water bottle is a good idea. Make sure you have good surface movement to promote gas exchange. .

Would doing water changes work? And also I wouldn't use the light on the fish tank either. And don't let yourself over heat.

Honestly, turn your heater(s) down a little like a few degrees. Typically the weather will fluctuate my tank 4-6 degrees. But that depends on the change. Like 75-90 type deal. Just being the temp down a lil the weather will do the rest

If it does become an issue, you can jerry-rig a small clamp-on fan such that it blows across the water's surface, which should keep it cooler.

Back
Top Bottom