HELP Ammonia sky high and everything else testing fine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilly_mae21

Aquarium Advice Regular
:banghead:We are having a problem with ammonia in our 55gal. We have been doing 80-85% water changes also with the ammonia remover in the filter with no change at all. Everything else tests good.(we use the liquid testing that is highly rated on here). Our fish are acting fine(eating likes pigs as always). What can we do to get this problem to leave?
I am to the point where I want to drain all water,throw the sand that is in there out, and restart the tank! :banghead:

Have you checked your tap water it is possible that if your ammonia got too high that it may have killed off some of your beneficial bacteria! What are all of your readings did you cycle the tank?

This tank has been going since '09.

We have well water. I had the same thought when we noticed it. So, I tested the water, came out with no ammonia.

What test kit?

What exactly is it you have as an ammonia remover. Remember that many of these so-called removers may kill off your beneficial bacteria by starving them to death.

If you've had this test kit since '09, it's possible that reagent has expired and is giving you false readings.

LyndaB said:
What test kit?

What exactly is it you have as an ammonia remover. Remember that many of these so-called removers may kill off your beneficial bacteria by starving them to death.

If you've had this test kit since '09, it's possible that reagent has expired and is giving you false readings.

I think he has API liquid test kit.

Most liquid test kits will go bad within 2 years of the manufacture date so if you have had the test kit for a while it may have gone bad I would suggest taking a sample to your LFS to have them test it too to make sure.

This is direct from API customer service:

Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of 2002.

Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years.

I'm just throwing things out there for consideration since your tank has been ruuning since 2009. Is it possible a fish or something has died & is stuck in something that you can't see it? Is it possible you've had a Ph crash? From what I understand this can cause the tank to recycle. Maybe your test has gone bad even though it is only a year old? I would get my water tested somewhere else to verify my results.

Back
Top Bottom