Help ASAP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ojames2010

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My black Moore is just laying like this idk why I nudged him with the scoop net and he swam to another spot and just layed down like this idk what's wrong!?!?!IMG_0289.jpg

This is definitely a sign that something is wrong.
My first suspicion with a goldfish would be Swim Bladder Disorder.
When he swims, does he have trouble going toward the surface of the tank, does his tail hang down?
If so, this is the problem, it's not usually fatal, and the fix is easy.
I can help you with that if SBD is the problem.

If he swims normally when you get him to move, we need information.
Are there any other symptoms, such as color changes, white spots, fungus, bloating?
How big is the tank?
How long has the tank been running?
How long has the fish been in the tank?
How often and how much do you feed him?
What is the temperature of the tank?
Are there any other animals in the tank, and if so, what and how many?
What are the tested levels of
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
pH

No spot or color changes it's a 10 gallon tank and he only shares it with one other goldfish who is fine, when I do nudge him he swims kinda side ways and seems to be swimming like he doesn't know where he's going or tries to swim down while he's already at the bottom, all levels are fine too

I've had him and the fantail in the same tank for about 4 months now I don't have the best test strips for everything just for ph, there is a heater that keeps the water at 70ish degrees and I just changed the filter last week no algea or fungus anywhere that I can see

Here is a link to learn about the nitrogen cycle.
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle

Two goldfish in a 10g tank is overstocked.
This was bound to cause trouble for you eventually.

Get water testing supplies, either a multiple test testing kit, or in strip form get the 5 in 1, nitrite and ammonia.
This will help us determine if you have a mini cycle crash going on, or simply very high nitrates.

I still think your fish has SBD, but the overstocking problem needs to be addressed too.

I will post SBD treatment separately, because every time I leave this tab, the site refreshes when I come back, and I lose everything I typed.

For your stocking problem either upgrade to a 20 long, or go down to only one goldfish.

SWIM BLADDER DISEASE
The swim bladder is an air-filled organ which the fish uses to balance itself and swim up and down by regulating the pressure inside. If the airbladder becomes compressed, deformed or diseased the fish cannot regulate it and therefore 'loses its balance'. Fancy goldfish frequently suffer with SB problems due to their compressed body shapes; the cause may therefore be internal physical deformity. Other causes are constipation - which compresses the SB - gulping air whilst feeding at the surface or eating food with too much air inside, such as dry floating foods, Fatty Liver Disease or kidney cysts. Bacterial or internal parasitcial infections can also be involved, and egg impaction in female fish is an occasional cause. High nitrates have also recently been found to cause SBD.

A fish develops Swim Bladder Disorder (SBD) when something is pressing on his swim bladder, and screwing with his ability to control where he is between the bottom and the surface in the water column.
There are two symptoms for SBD, one is floating, swimming sideways or upside down (the belly is trying to turn upwards) and a difficulty swimming to the bottom. The other is perpetual sinking, lying on the bottom, and swimming tail down with difficulty getting to the surface.

Unless the SBD is caused by an internal infection of the digestive tract (which happens very, very rarely), there is no medicine for it. An infection would be treated with antibiotics.

In most fish, SBD is caused most often by overfeeding or overfeeding of bloodworms (which should be a treat, not a staple), and less often by the fish having a blocked digestive tract or constipation. All causes result in pressure placed on the fish's swim bladder from a bloating of the digestive tract. Where the bloating occurs determines if the pressure will cause floating or sinking. Either way, the treatment is the same.

Before you can presume an infection, you have to rule out the more common possibilities.
The first thing you do is fast the fish. If your problem is overfeeding, it may take up to 3 days of fasting for the food to all have passed and the fish to swim normally again. If it is a blockage or constipation, it could take longer. If the fish shows no improvement by the 3rd day, feed it a small bit of thawed and shelled frozen pea. This serves to scrub the digestive tract and loosen constipation. If the fish refuses to eat, it may be that it is still too full to feel hungry, or you could try a bit of freeze-dried daphnia. Most fish will not refuse daphnia unless there is a problem, so if it turns its nose up at that, then you need to continue to fast it and try again the next day.
If it eats the pea or daphnia, give it a few days before feeding it anything more.
While there is no improvement, you should fast it 3 days between feedings of peas or daphnia (feeding every 4th day). When it shows improvement, you can shorten the time between feedings. Don’t go back to regular food until it is acting normally again.
It can take as long as 2 weeks for your fish to show improvement (I know, I had a female betta take that long).

If your fish shows signs of worsening during any of this, or if it shows no improvement in 2 weeks, it is safe to presume an internal bacterial infection. Any antibiotic recommended for this is fine. Follow package directions. I would continue to feed it only every 2 or 3 days during treatment so as not to stress the digestive tract while it's healing.

I will try the fasting starting today I think the SBD is the problem because he is laying at the bottom of the tank but is still alive and when I nudge him slightly he swims either sideways or downward like he's confused or can't swim straight, how often should I be feeding them regularly if they do improve, I was at 2 daily once at night and once in the morning

Personally, I don't feed my fish even once a day.
I feed them twice a week. I do this making sure to watch for signs of weight loss. If I see weight loss, I bump up to 3 times a week or more if needed.
In other words, I feed them no more than they need to be healthy.

If I had goldfish, I'd be double filtering, too, because they are messy eaters.

When the fasting and treatment is over, I'd recommend every other day.
There will be people who disagree with me, but with fish overfeeding can kill.
Underfeeding can be adjusted to suit the fish at hand. I feed enough to keep my fish at a healthy level of plump. Keep in mind that many fish will eat algae in your tank if you let them be hungry enough.

I recommend that you still do test your water parameters. High nitrates can cause this problem, and since you are overstocked, high nitrates is a likelihood.

You also need to address the overstocking problem, or it will cause you trouble.

I'd do a water change first, and see if he perks up, but yeah you are looking at needing 30-40g tank for those two, sooner the better. Get the test equipment, but do water changes very often till you get a bigger tank

Back
Top Bottom