Help!! Beginner in need :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any time my friend. I hope you enjoy the hobby and remember - over research is better than too little. :)

Best wishes, - Raymond

Do it once the tank is established and buy algae tablets to supplement them. Also get some veggies. I would get nerite snails. Look at their care sheet. :)

In other words, add one at a time and add them two weeks to a month after the betta.

Why? Is it important to do that? I have heard of this but I thought if I'm only getting a betta some snails and some ghost shrimp I could do it all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well keep in mind that stocking is relative.

You only have as much beneficial bacteria as your ammonia and nitrite allows.

As you add more, you add more need for more beneficial bacteria right?

Due to this, you want to add them slowly to allow the beneficial bacteria to get to the strength it needs for the betta, then the snail, then the next snail, then the shrimp.

Snail and shrimps also do better in tanks where the filter is established so you would be best off waiting for the filter to catch up to each individual.

If you add them all at once, the bacteria can be overwhelmed and your livestock will be heavily stress and live a lot shorter (or die in a relatively short amount of time)

I guess you could as long as you do 33% water changes every day (or every other) so 1 gallon every day or two.

I wouldn't recommend it though. I suggest you build a good habit and stock slowly to air on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom