Help! Betta is sluggish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLyght

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For the past week, my male betta fish has had a significant change in his behavior. Where he once used to swim all over his tank, now he can always be found perfectly still at the bottom of his tank or nestled up in the floating plants.

Ammonia: between 0-.25ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: between 5-10ppm
(Weekly water change is tomorrow)

His tank is heavily planted and the water temp varies between 76-80.

Last week, I woke up and found his tank to be 68 degrees (do to my heater dying on me) and ever since then he's been very inactive.

Any suggestions on what may be causing this sudden change in his behavior?

Below is a picture of him just staying still in his plants (something he used to do only when he slept at night).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416812316.330249.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a heater yet? Colder water could definitely contribute to this :(. You want to slowly bring the water temp up. Nothing too sudden.

What size tank? Even .25 ammonia is not good. Is the tank cycled?

You could also try fasting him for a couple days. It's good to fast a betta once a week anyway. It's good for them and helps clean out their system.

He's in a 10 gallon tank, with a new heater. I have been reading about swim bladder disorder, which I think he might have.

I will try fasting him for a few days to see if that helps his digestive system and gets him back to normal.

He's in a 10 gallon tank, with a new heater. I have been reading about swim bladder disorder, which I think he might have.

I will try fasting him for a few days to see if that helps his digestive system and gets him back to normal.

Swim bladder causes the fish to be unable to either sink or float. They dont present at the same time.

What heater did you buy? If it's not a good one there might be day / night temperature fluctuations in the tank stressing him out.

Betta's aren't a fish that lives in hot water so you might consider taking the heater out!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Betta's aren't a fish that lives in hot water so you might consider taking the heater out!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Bettas are actually quite comfortable in warm water. Their shallow pools they live in warm up quite easily. Bettas are most comfortable from 75 to 85 degrees.

I noticed after I was feeding him last night, that he was slowly floating down towards the bottom of his tank. Not drastically but it was enough to make me notice that something may be up.

Since my water parameters aren't an obvious sign of distress, I'm gonna assume it's this swim bladder disorder. I will fast him for a few days and then try feeding him a pea, maybe that will clear him out.

Bettas are actually quite comfortable in warm water. Their shallow pools they live in warm up quite easily. Bettas are most comfortable from 75 to 85 degrees.

Yep! We keep ours around 78 :) I read that much more than 80 speeds up their metabolism = shorter life. Don't want that!

Could you post a more close-up picture of him. It could be fin-rot. For this short period only add 2 tablespoons of salt, and do 50% water changes every other day, but remember to replace the salt when you do the water change. What chemicals do you use? (pH buffers, Fluorish Excel, etc.)

First of all, ANY ammonia will stress him out. Your tank parameters are not safe as ammonia is a killer. The heater shouldnt be such a big deal with a betta as they are pretty well adjusted to a vast array of temps. how old is the fish? I ask because usually they only live like 2-3 years with average care. Some have lived a lot longer, but its rare.

Is he alone in the tank? Id do a water change right now, maybe 50% of the water and it should lower that ammonia and help him feel better.

I'm happy to report that my betta is doing much better.

I changed out the filter cartridge, deep cleaned any ornaments and the glass, and did a 50% water change.

In combination with fasting my betta, it has proven to be successful.

Thank you all for your input. It was greatly appreciated! ?

Edit: I was also pleasantly surprised to find some baby red cherry shrimp, from my small colony, during my deep cleaning!

Back
Top Bottom