Help! Blood worms came to life?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunfro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new to this, I have a 20gal tank, one of my guppies had babies so I bought a new 10gl tank, cleaned it out, added fresh water/new filter etc.. put the babies in and a little food.My son took the Tetra Blood worm treats and sprinkled some in to the babies tank while I was at work.By the time I got off 4hrs later theres a bunch of little worms moving around the tank on the bottom and swimming around (I turned off the filter and they swim,it's not a current and theres nothing on the bottom of the tank so their easy to see).Aside from being completely disgusted and freaked out, I'm concerned they could hurt the babies...the babies are too small to eat them..what should I do?

What kind of bloodworms were being fed to the guppies, freeze-dried or frozen? Perhaps the bloodworms were going bad and the worms you're now seeing were feeding on them when they were inadvertently introduced into the tank?

This is a new tank with a new filter so I'm not sure how else the live worms got into the tank.

David

They were tetra freeze dried (from walmart), my other tank of fish love them and eat the right away so I've never seen them come to life, he wasn't suppose to put any in the babies tank :S but I didn't know it was possible for them to 'wake up'. I scooped all the babies out & dropped a goldfish in the tank in the hopes he cleans them up, I don't know what else to do

Could it be planeria? They usually pop up hen over feeding has occurred, then again I couldn't imagine them showing up in just a little over 4 hours of one isolated over feeding event.

If you have a gravel cleaner, clean out the substrate. I would also do a 50% water change. Keep us updated good luck!

Man,I came in here thinking we had some Michael Jackson "Thriller" zombie bloodworms.LOL

LMAO at Thriller lol The Goldfish cleaned them up over nite, so I could put the babies back in, in the morning. I couldn't get a picture to come up with that link that was posted, the best way I can describe what they look like is ya know when you get a thread caught in you eye/eye lashes? Thats what they looked like squirming around little threads.Mosquito larvae freeze during the winter and are born in spring so maybe it was the same sort of thing? I dunno but theres no other source they could have came from, everything in the tank was brand new, no live plants/gravel or anything.it's not something I want to see again lol Like I said they were the yellow bottle Tetra blood worms from Walmart if anyone wants to try it at home to see if they 'hatch' lol That was creepy

When blood worms are freeze dried they literally bake or however they process them, dry. Nothing can come back to life from that. But "extras" shall we call them can hitch hike in on fish or in their water and you would never see them. It only takes a couple and the rest is history as the breeding cycle gives you lots of them.

Back
Top Bottom