Help catching fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 yoyo loaches that I want to remove from my tank as they have developed a taste for the eyes of my other fish. It's a tall 250 litre tank. I have 1 big net, 1 small net, I need tips and tricks for catching them as so far I've been unsuccessful (read failed miserably!). Tonight when kids are in bed, I'm prepared to tear down the tank if needs be. I have lots of plants, rocks and driftwood which I tried removing earlier to make the job easier but put it all back as I couldn't catch them. I can only just reach the bottom due to the height of the tank (and that's by sticking my arm in right to the shoulder!). Please, any suggestions!?!

Its a always a pain to catch fish. I can't even get them out of the bag. If the plants are fake, take them out. Take out anything else that is non living. And take out 6
50% of the water and treat it as a water change when you catch em.

Its a always a pain to catch fish. I can't even get them out of the bag. If the plants are fake, take them out. Take out anything else that is non living. And take out 6
50% of the water and treat it as a water change when you catch em.

Excellent, yeah I was going to do a 50 water change this evening anyways, not considered trying to catch them once the water was out though. All my plants are real and therein lies my biggest obstacle. Other problem is where to keep them if I do get them out this evening. I could set up my empty 28ltr to overnight them as obviously it's a Sunday and shops close at 5pm.

The plants are good as they will help you cover the net. No you can use the smaller one to chase them into the bigger one.

If you don't have anything else use a plastic Tupperware with holes in it and let it sit in you tank.

Excellent, yeah I was going to do a 50 water change this evening anyways, not considered trying to catch them once the water was out though. All my plants are real and therein lies my biggest obstacle. Other problem is where to keep them if I do get them out this evening. I could set up my empty 28ltr to overnight them

Actually the plants will be fine if you have them out for fifteen minutes. Or even longer if you keep the roots in the water. And yeah catch them when the water is out. It's half the space. A good technique my lfs uses its to corner them follow them in the height of which they are. Then when they try to get out of the corner they swim right into the net. Also when you have everything out, our would be a great time to redecorate!

Remove at least 50% of the water then turn all lights off for about 20 minutes to calm everybody down. Notice where the loaches are at, get your nets ready then turn on the lights. Doing this will temp 'stun' them. Now quickly catch them. It may take a few times.

Ohh my gosh I know what you mean I have a single zebra danio I want to get out of my tank but that thig is fast so I just gave up

Back
Top Bottom