Help choosing stock for a nano/invert tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

Still wrestling with myself on what I want to stock my planted 20g long with. My goals for this tank are to have a more interesting stocking list, try out new fish, and to have a more "structured" tank (this is my first somewhat thoughtfully scaped tank, so I've already completed that goal!)

Tank is still cycling so I'm not sure what the consistent pH will be, but my other tank maintains 7.4 (7.0 out of tap, but we have no kh buffer, crushed coral brought it up). This tank has non-reactive rocks and a single piece of driftwood that leached no tannins.

For Sure Stocking:
x10 corydora habrosus (already purchased! in qt tank)
x1 or 2 mystery snail (already purchased one!)
x1 nerite snail (already purchased!)
x20+ red cherry shrimp
x1 bamboo shrimp

Possible/Other Stocking Thoughts (sort of an either/or, etc.)
x8 celestial pearl danios
x1 L129 pleco
x10-12 daisy's blue ricefish
x10-12 dwarf pencilfish

I'm interested in the pleco, but I'll need to talk to my lfs employees (who are very knowledgeable and friendly) about their compatibility with other bottom-dwellers, like the small cories.

I'd love to get the CPDs too, but after doing a little more research, I wouldn't want almost ALL bottom-dwellers, even though CPDs aren't "true" bottom dwellers. Anyone who has CPDs, can you chime in on this? Do they hug the substrate?

Not necessarily looking for something that schools tightly, etc. but I would like a nice mid-to-top level group of fish that isn't too red. Trying to find something that will contrast nicely with the RCS.

Please make suggestions too! I was also earlier considering emerald dwarf rasboras, but I heard these fish are far too shy. I'd say my tank is medium planted now, but there's lots of rocks, plants and i'll be adding 2 caves too, so it shouldn't be sparse at all.

tl;dr - looking for advice on CPDs and the L129 pleco, or if I should get another schooling/shoaling group like daisy's ricefish, dwarf pencilfish, etc. Trying to keep things tiny! :)

Can't give you any advice on the pleco but I have a school of 8 CPDs in my 20 gallon (along with ember tetras, otos, RCS, amano shrimp, and a single male betta). Everyone gets along great. The celestial pearl danios have become less shy since I added the ember tetras. They do tend to hang out in the lower part of the tank and hide in the plants whereas the tetras are more of a mid-level/upper-level fish. My tank is heavily planted, which makes all of these nano fish feel more secure. Don't be afraid of too much red, especially in a planted tank. It looks wonderful! Here are some images of the tank and some of its inhabitants.

Attachments

• galaxy rasboras.jpg
    galaxy rasboras.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 152
  • Ember Tetra male.jpg
    Ember Tetra male.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 20 gallon 1:16.jpg
    20 gallon 1:16.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 93
  • cherry shrimp.jpg
    cherry shrimp.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the response!!

I'd love to get some CPDs (does 8 seem like a decent number? Maybe one or two males, the rest females??) but it also seems like I should get another school of mid-upper level fish so the CPDs feel more secure. Any suggestions?? Maybe the pencilfish? I've heard they're pretty skittish too though... Maybe one of the micro rasboras?

I just don't want to overcrowd the tank! I don't think I'm necessarily in danger of that, but, with a smaller tank it's always better to be on the safer side. Just with the cories, potentially the pleco, and the CPDs, I've got my low/mid covered, just need to look for something mid-upper to give the CPDs more sense of security. I also have more moss I plan on adding, which will be good for the shrimp and everyone else.

I've heard that the male CPDs can be pretty aggressive with each other, but I haven't noticed any damage to any of them. I just had my LFS net 8 at random; I have at least 3 males in my tank. They do "dance" around each other showing off in front of the ladies. I would say to get at least 8 so they feel more comfortable. Just wondering why you got a mystery snail--they are poop machines and equal many nano fish in their bioload! ;) For upper-level fish you could always go with dwarf hatchetfish, or maybe a few male endlers.

well I wanted to try some new inverts, and I'd only had assassin snails before, and those guys are kind of a rarity to see! I have 2 in my 29g community. And actually, they don't seem as poopy as everyone says...? Either that or I haven't been able to recognize what their poop looks like haha.

Since I already have one purchased and it's very lively and brightens up my tank, maybe I should just leave it as one. Still iffy on the pleco though... Wouldn't want to get close to maxing out my stock, especially with small, sensitive fish. But the pleco is so cute! :( I'd be happy with just CPDs, cories and the pleco and the assortment of inverts, but I'd be afraid the upper part of the tank would look very empty.

Any idea if the boraras are more upper/mid level fish? I'd be interested in getting some chili/mosquito rasboras since my lfs carries them. So many micro choices! haha

Ha! I've also got CPDs and embers in my planted tank. Yes, the fish tend to hide when I'm in the room. But they come around as long as I'm not pressing my nose against the tank.
Porkchop rasboras might be another nano option to consider. Not sure where they optimally hang out but it doesn't appear to be the bottom. I think they are also know as lamb chops.
Here is a pick of some attractive nano fish:
V1o67iJ.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are harlequin rasboras considered "nano"? There's some purple ones at my lfs that I thought were kinda interesting!

I wouldn't call harlequin rasboras nano fish. I have a school of six in my 75 gallon that are a good 1 3/4 inches long by now (I have six new tiny ones in quarantine). They have so much to recommend them: great color when happy, tight schooling, easy care, etc. but a 20 gallon seems a bit too small for them to be really happy. Mine love to cruise back and forth the entire length of my tank; they are quite active (but peaceful). The lambchop rasboras stay smaller but are much harder to find.

AG -Thanks for chiming in with a clarification of the mature harlequin size. Apparently the ones I've had were not quite fully grown.
Are lamb chops the same as porkchops? There is a fellow in my local fish club that has them pretty regularly at 10/$20 which sounds like a good deal.

I don't know about that; I've seen harlequins listed as pork chops, too! That's why asking for them by their scientific name is best.

I have CPDs in my 46g and a 5g. Mine all tend to be mid level. I have a couple that will even eat flake off the water surface believe it or not.

Back
Top Bottom