Help! Cloudy and green water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quinn2676

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank gets cloudy and then it does this what do I do! This has been happening for almost 2 weeks!IMG_5155.jpg

WUT.

What are your parameters? How long has this tank been up? Stock? Plants? Light? Photo period? How often do you do water changes? Do you use a water conditioner?

Nitrate:0 Nitrites:0 total hardness:25 total alkalinity:300 pH:8.4. It's been up for about 4 months and then this happened when I put a new filter in. There is 5 goldfish in the tank. Fake silk plants. Two lights on on each side of the tank and i used to do 25% water changes weekly but have been doing 50% every 2-3 days because that's what the person at the pet store told me to do

Just fyi, i believe that pH is too high.
I believe the safe range is between 7.2-7.6.
The highest occurence ive read was 8.2...

Does this tank receive a lot of sunlight?

Just fyi, i believe that pH is too high.

Does this tank receive a lot of sunlight?

I have my lights on a timer and now that you mention it there is a window directly across from the tank that would pretty much shine direct sunlight onto it all day

Well with the sun shining on it all day it starts an algea bloom which i believe if its left alone will turn into your tank. What kind of filters did you say you had?

Looks like you'll need to change that water, clean everything, etc. Get some algea eating snails, reduce lighting, lower the heater to within a safe range.

Well with the sun shining on it all day it starts an algea bloom which i believe if its left alone will turn into your tank. What kind of filters did you say you had?

Looks like you'll need to change that water, clean everything, etc. Get some algea eating snails, reduce lighting, lower the heater to within a safe range.

I have two hang off the back filters they are emperor 400s. I've thought of getting snails but have been told if I don't have a lid for my tank they will get out what is your opinion on that?

I have two hang off the back filters they are emperor 400s. I've thought of getting snails but have been told if I don't have a lid for my tank they will get out what is your opinion on that?

They might. But honestly even if they do its not much of a loss.

(A couple bucks each?)

I get snails every couple of weeks just because my eels think they are tasty.

You can get snails or a couple of plecos.

But there are also dozens of different fish they will also clean your tank other than snails.

As to why you don't have a lid I feel like I am better off not asking.. bit you should have one anyway.

Some fish jump, you will be more affected by evaporation changing your water and it just looks better.

I have cats so a lid is a must.
Plus my eels like to escape.

2 50% water changes back to back then put a uv sterilizer in go dark 48 hrs is what I'd do
snails will be fine with no cover they wont go far

Last edited:
Don't keep your lights on long. Do a 50% water change and treats water with algae treatments.

Back
Top Bottom