HELP!!! --- Cloudy tank & dead fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyn54

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 100 litre freshwater aquarium, did have goldfish - they are now all dead. :(
Have left water in tank with filter running hoping that it might need cycling with no fish in it to contaminate. But - my water is looking worse everyday. :ermm:
I am at a loss as to what to do next. Do i do a partial water change/a full water change what?? I feel so disheartened by the fact i just cannot seem to get it right.
My water is very cloudy with a greenish tinge to it.
If anybody has any helpful suggestions i would be very grateful.
Thanks in avance. :fish1:

You are not really cycling the tank if you don't add a source of ammonia ....
Read up on this to get a handle on what you should be doing:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I don't know why the fish died, but possibly from an uncycled tank. The water parameters might be all messed up at this point. The cloudiness might be a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom. I would suggest you get some readings on NH3, NO2 & NO3 to see where you are at to decide on what you should do.

Thanks, water has been tested. All good apart from KH being a little on the low side. Have added KH powder and all tests are looking within normal limits. Hopefully with a bit more patience my tank and filter will complete a fishless cycle and all will be ok.

Were they fancy goldfish? If so, what were you feeding them? Fancies are kind of prone to some weird indigestion and bloat problems due to their odd body shape so that could be a contributing factor into why the fish died. Also, the links above will greatly help you.

What are the specific ammonia, nitrite and nitrate ratings exactly?

Were they fancy goldfish? If so, what were you feeding them? Fancies are kind of prone to some weird indigestion and bloat problems due to their odd body shape so that could be a contributing factor into why the fish died. Also, the links above will greatly help you.

What are the specific ammonia, nitrite and nitrate ratings exactly?
Not fancy goldfish, just comets - red and calico. Was feeding them goldfish flakes. When i have finished cycling my tank and buy more fish i will get more advice from aquarium dealer as to what more i can feed them.
Unfortunately i am unable to give you the specific ratings as my aquarium dealer did the testing for me - he said all were good apart from the KH which was down to a 2. Have added KH powder as instructed and aquarium dealer has advised me all tests are looking good now. As i am on a limited income i am only able to purchase 1 test kit at a time which is 1 per month. So far i have a PH test kit and a nitrate test kit. Not much good without the rest i know, but will eventually have everything i need. I guess i am lucky to have a very considerate aquarium dealer who is more than happy to continue doing tests for me until i can afford all the kits i need.
PS - love the quote you have at the bottom of your thread. Very true. If we do nothing of course we wont make mistakes.

Not fancy goldfish, just comets - red and calico. Was feeding them goldfish flakes. When i have finished cycling my tank and buy more fish i will get more advice from aquarium dealer as to what more i can feed them.
Unfortunately i am unable to give you the specific ratings as my aquarium dealer did the testing for me - he said all were good apart from the KH which was down to a 2. Have added KH powder as instructed and aquarium dealer has advised me all tests are looking good now. As i am on a limited income i am only able to purchase 1 test kit at a time which is 1 per month. So far i have a PH test kit and a nitrate test kit. Not much good without the rest i know, but will eventually have everything i need. I guess i am lucky to have a very considerate aquarium dealer who is more than happy to continue doing tests for me until i can afford all the kits i need.
PS - love the quote you have at the bottom of your thread. Very true. If we do nothing of course we wont make mistakes.

I see why you're saddened, red and calico are very pretty goldfish :(

KH powder? Don't know what that is, but if it's some sort of thing with additives or chemicals in it I'd avoid it. Maybe a more natural method would work, like adding crushed coral, limestone, or cuttlebone. But if it's low and the powder is the only thing available I'd try it, from what I've learned low KH equals unstable pH.

Why are you getting them per month? An API Master Test Kit is around the 30$ mark at most stores and has tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH that will last you around a year or two.

Thanks, John Wooden is my inspiration, I liked this quote espcieally :)

Yes, have been pretty sad at having my fish die - they were lovely.
KH powder is 'apparently' one of two water hardeners. We have the GH blue crystal for general hardness and the KH is supposed to be for carbonate hardness. We live in an area with very soft water so i'm told i need to add these mineral powders to harden the water.
Only able to get one kit per month as i am on a disabilty pension (very limited income) Wow!! 30$ for an API master test kit - here in Australia it is over 200$... Yep, you read right - over 200$.
Will ask my aquarium supplier about the unstable PH - sounds interesting.
Thanks for your input.

Awesome!! Thankyou. Will check that out. My local aquarium shop quoted me over 200$. Ouch!!!

How many goldfish were in that tank? 100 liters is equal to 26 gallons. The rule of thumb for goldfish is 20 gals for the first fish and 10 gals for each additional, so if you had more than two in the tank you were overstocked and two would be pushing it.

Unfortunately most fish stores give you bad advice. Letting the tank run for a week is not cycling. Cycling means growing the proper bacteria to convert the waste your fish put out from toxic to less toxic forms. Either with fish or without the process takes at least a month, often more.

Also taking your water to the fish stores to test it, more often than not they'll tell you your water is "fine" when it probably isn't. The best way is to get your own test kit. Or at least have the fish store give you the exact numbers of the test results so that you can post them here. Also strip tests aren't very accurate so if they were using strips to test the water that doesn't really tell you much.

The link to fishless cycling will help you. Get some pure ammonia and cycle the tank properly. Otherwise unfortunately your fish could keep dying. Good luck.

jsoong said:
You are not really cycling the tank if you don't add a source of ammonia ....
Read up on this to get a handle on what you should be doing:
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

I don't know why the fish died, but possibly from an uncycled tank. The water parameters might be all messed up at this point. The cloudiness might be a bacterial bloom or an algae bloom. I would suggest you get some readings on NH3, NO2 & NO3 to see where you are at to decide on what you should do.

It was cycling. Fish in. Not all cycles are fishless. The goldfish may have died because of dangerous amounts of ammonia.

librarygirl said:
The link to fishless cycling will help you. Get some pure ammonia and cycle the tank properly.

Unfortunately pure ammonia is illegal in Australia. Only cloudy ammonia is available but it's not suitable because of the additives. So your only options are a fishless cycle with fish food or a raw prawn, a fish-in cycle or a silent cycle. I wouldn't recommend a silent cycle because you need to have your tank heavily planted (50-75%) with fast growing plants. The plants will then use the ammonia but you run the risk of them dying and adding to the build up of ammonia instead of using it. Plus I hear goldfish tear them to shreds anyway.

If you are short on money, you might want to save on the "KH powder". It is no different from baking soda & and you can get it much cheaper from the supermarket!

OK, the supermarket baking soda has no instructions for fish tank, but here it is:
Beginner FAQ: Water Chemistry

Now, a better way to provide KH & pH buffering is crushed coral or any form of CaCO3. More stable, less work, and much less chance of errors.

Back
Top Bottom