Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66
So you are saying just straight water changes for now? No chemicals?

I have Prime and Amquel, any suggestion as to which one I should use when I change out the water?

Also what kind of percentage? Half?

Thanks for the help
All you need is prime and buckets. The more new water the better imho.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
Ok so we have:
PH:6.6
Amonia:1.0ppm
Nitrite: Somewhere between 2.0 and 5.0ppm
Nitrate:160ppm

Also the water stinks, kinda like swamp water.
Those are toxic levels. the ammonia should be below 0.25

It would be prudent to do a partial water change (PWC) to decrease the levels of those toxins.

I've never seen nitrates posted that were that high.

So that others may better help you, how often do you do a partial water change? And what percentage of the water do you change? 10%? 20%? 50%?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use the prime (dose to size of your tank) for all of your water changes to help detox everything. You probably should start with a 70% pwc because your numbers are so high. I would test again (wait 15mins for water to circulate b4 testing) & see if the wc helped. If it didnt sufficiently lower your numbers, do another 70% & test again. What i dont know is what type of water frogs prefer because right now your water is pretty acidic & i dont know what the numbers are out of your tap are. You may have amm/nitrites/nitrates/low ph for your tap water as well. So, check your tap before starting the wcs so you have an idea of what your dealing with before you begin! Good luck! Hopefully, someone here knows something about frogs & can help some more!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Note on api kit- amazon sells it about $10 cheaper than the big chain pet stores for future purchase! You can also buy the individual tests if you run out of just one type of test on amazon as well (most chain stores dont carry individual tests).
Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok, so I just did probably 60% water. I'll do more again the net time. I wasn't sure so I just kinda errored on the side of caution.

Our tap water is pH 7.6 and 0ppm for the rest of the stuff.

I just read African clawed frogs are fine with pretty much any pH between 6.5-7.5

I usually do a 25% water change once a month...but honestly there are times I forget

I put in a full cap of prime which it says is good for 50gal, so thats a little more than I would need normally.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #16

Edit to my last one. I'd say tap Nitrates are probably a little over 0ppm. Maybe like 2. Its probably a little more yellow than halfway between the 0 and 5ppm if that makes sense.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Look It Up

Nitrates that high are a problem. Your water changes should ideally be weekly, about 50% is advisable. Otherwise nitrates build up and become toxic. Also your fish, etc use up minerals that are in the water and water changes help replenish those nutrients.

Also with ammonia and nitrite it seems your tank is in a mini-cycle probably from changing the filter. As was stated above daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites as close to 0 as you can get them (even if this means more than one large water change per day) using Prime. Once the tank is stabilized again (ammonia and nitrite staying at 0 on their own without water changes) I'd advise a 50% weekly water change to replenish nutrients and keep nitrates down. Good luck. Sorry about your fish and frog.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygirl View Post
Nitrates that high are a problem. Your water changes should ideally be weekly, about 50% is advisable. Otherwise nitrates build up and become toxic. Also your fish, etc use up minerals that are in the water and water changes help replenish those nutrients.

Also with ammonia and nitrite it seems your tank is in a mini-cycle probably from changing the filter. As was stated above daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrites as close to 0 as you can get them (even if this means more than one large water change per day) using Prime. Once the tank is stabilized again (ammonia and nitrite staying at 0 on their own without water changes) I'd advise a 50% weekly water change to replenish nutrients and keep nitrates down. Good luck. Sorry about your fish and frog.
You guys have been very helpful.

I feel bad. I've been a very bad fish/frog dad We didn't sit in the family room with them for the longest time so it kinda became out of sight out of mind. Now that we have started using the family room we are out with them every day...I want to do better!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #19

I also thought you had to replace those HOB filters...do you have any idea how many filters I've gone through over the past 3 years?

3 filters with 4 pads each...

Lots

And not only was it wasting money but it was hurting the fish.

What do you guys think about chemical media in the filter baskets? Is that something you don't need if you do proper water changes?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #20

So that water change yielded:
pH 6.8
Ammonia: .5ppm
Nitrite: .5ppm
Nitrate: still way high like maybe 80-100ppm

As I type its draining down for another change. I'm going to go down like 75% or so then probably check it before bed and go back at it again tomorrow after work.

At least its going the right direction

Tags
cloud, cloudy, cloudy water, death, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com