Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help! Considerations when moving acrylic hex tank...

Hey there...

I am going to be moving my 35 gallon acrylic TruVu tank with about 10 fish.

My plan is to drain it almost all the way to about 10-15 gallons (so i can lift it myself)

Then move it to the new location about a mile away using my pickup truck. Once at the location, I will fill the tank again and put in the slime coat and chlorine remover chemicals.

I am sort of a newbie so sorry for the stupid questions....

Is there anything I can do to make the move easier? Will the tank support the water without being on the stand?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hi Malkmus, I've had a lot of experience moving my current fish tank (3 moves, one down 5 flights!) so I can give you some advice:
The tank should hold plenty of water (it won't break on the bottom). It's pretty much what you can carry. Obviously get another person to help you carry it, and to steady it on the drive. Drive slowly and don't accelerate/deccelerate too fast! Take any plants/decorations out too. Just fill it back up and add the chemicals when you get there.
My fish were fine after the moves except for one time when both my clown loaches died (probably just from shock/amount of new water etc.) My other fish were tetras. What type of fish are you moving? Good luck!
~Amy

Old 08-15-2005, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Amy,

Thanks for your reply - the fish are tetras and colored parrots and zebra danios - they are pretty hardy fish but i worry about doing a 70% water change - but, i suppose that is the only way to do it - so you think the bottom of the acrylic hex will hold the water without a planed surface beneath it?

Thanks so much!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
colored parrots
Bad choice. First, you should never buy dyed fish Second, blood parrots can attain a size of 8" and that is way too small for a 35 gal. Third once the parrots get big enough, the danios will become a tasty snack and maybe the tetras depending on what type they are.

And stop using the slime coat chemicals. IME they did nothing for me.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, I found out about the evils of dyed fish after I bought the them - I thought I was buying silver dollars - the parrots were in this big tank with many other kinds of fish - the people running the store didn't speak that much english so I just picked out some fish I liked and bought them. Found out later they weren't 'dollars.

But, don't worry, after we found out I had my girlfriend spank me.

The parrots are pretty small (just about 1.5 inches) but, yes, they are the rulers of the tank. Especially "Big Stud Pinkie" - he is growing fast and already had some babies with the hottie parrot (I feel bad for the third wheel though ) The babies were around for about a week and then disappeared - eaten, more than likely. But, whodunnit??
Old 08-15-2005, 10:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then are you sure they are blood parrots because they are infertile.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

There have been cases of blood parrots breeding. They aren't all infertile. But a fertile male is a rarity! Lucky you. Maybe the fish was inspired by the spanking that goes on in the house 8)
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
I think about 1% of male blood parrots are fertile. Maybe he got "bubblegum" parrots or whatever they call the offspring of a parrot and another cichlid, though. I dunno.

29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, hex, hex tank, moving, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com