HELP!! Cycling new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tulip55555

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been cycling a 40g for about 4 weeks now. My numbers were stuck at Ammonia .5, Nitrites 0, Nitrates are on the rise a bit, but barely over 0.

On Tuesday I added a nylon stocking filled with about 2 cups of gravel from my LFS established tank. Started to see Nitrites today, but the test is just barely changing color. (API drop test) Went to LFS and asked for some filter "juice" and she gave me about a cup of water with some black gunk settled at the bottom. Added that directly to my filter a few hours ago.

Any ideas about how long I can expect to wait now??? I know it's unpredictable, but any opinions are appreciated. :thanks:

tulip55555 said:
I've been cycling a 40g for about 4 weeks now. My numbers were stuck at Ammonia .5, Nitrites 0, Nitrates are on the rise a bit, but barely over 0.

On Tuesday I added a nylon stocking filled with about 2 cups of gravel from my LFS established tank. Started to see Nitrites today, but the test is just barely changing color. (API drop test) Went to LFS and asked for some filter "juice" and she gave me about a cup of water with some black gunk settled at the bottom. Added that directly to my filter a few hours ago.

Any ideas about how long I can expect to wait now??? I know it's unpredictable, but any opinions are appreciated. :thanks:

I'd assume by the time frame and parameters you have fish in the tank? In order to keep your fish healthy and prevent them from suffering from ammonia poisoning, you need to try and keep the ammo and no2 under .25 at all time. Here's a great guide that will walk you all the way through the process. Good luck!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Yes eco, I have fish :( and it happened pretty much just like that link says. I believed my LFS guy and used Nutrafin Cycle and thought I was all set....added fish, and now I'm (very slowly) cycling with fish!! Driving me nuts!!!!
The fish are doing well though. I think that because I am feeding them normally, and not sparingly like I guess I'm supposed to, I have increased production of bad bacteria and slowed the process even more.
Vicious cycle-no pun intended! Patience is not my virtue.
Thanks for the link, though. I will do more water changes and keep my fingers crossed :)

tulip55555 said:
Yes eco, I have fish :( and it happened pretty much just like that link says. I believed my LFS guy and used Nutrafin Cycle and thought I was all set....added fish, and now I'm (very slowly) cycling with fish!! Driving me nuts!!!!
The fish are doing well though. I think that because I am feeding them normally, and not sparingly like I guess I'm supposed to, I have increased production of bad bacteria and slowed the process even more.
Vicious cycle-no pun intended! Patience is not my virtue.
Thanks for the link, though. I will do more water changes and keep my fingers crossed :)

Don't feel bad. The simple fact that you're on this site shows you're a caring person and will make a wonderful fish keeper. Unfortunately, the article I gave you is probably the most linked one on the entire site. The things that major chain stores (and many local fish stores (lfs) ) tell people is borderline criminal in my eyes...and the fault does not lie with you. Just keep following the guide and things will work out fine for you and your fish. The only things you need are patience, commitment, a bucket and a bottle of Seachem Prime (water conditioner). Another good trick we use is to invest in a Python or Aquaeon water changer to help you with the pwc's. I can do a 50% water change on my 48 gallon in about 5 minutes...I couldn't live without it.

Sound like your doing good

I am currently on Day34 of cycling with fish
And same as you was a little impatient.
After some reading I found out it can take up to 8-10 weeks to fully cycle a tank With fish.

I agree with Eco keep you ammonia levels below 0.25 and Change water accordingly.
I am down to doing water changes every 3 days.
I also only feed every other day.
My readings for today
Ammonia 0.15
Nitrite 0. (have had 0 nitrite since day 19)
Nitrate 25
Ph 7.6
Temp 24 c
Did a 20% water change yesterday

Question: have you got live plants in your tank.
Plants will absorb ammonia and nitrates
But I did read somewhere that they can slowdown a cycling tank. If you have plants make sure you remove any loose or decaying plant bits. They can produce ammonia in the tank.
I put my plants to lower, levels of 32ppm nitrate in my water source.

Good look your doing fine

Thanks Koz. We are in the same boat...I added plants to take care of nitrates from my tap water. I changed water today and got my ammonia down to .25. I haven't fed since then and tomorrow if I have an increase in ammo I am going to remove the plants. I have also been feeding daily, but I think it is wise to do every other day as well.
Thanks to both of you for the encouragement.

Sounds like a plan
Keep an eye on your nitrates
If your using API test kits like I am make sure you shake the bottle 2 for longer than stated
I do mine for about 3 min to ensure the solution is mixed and to get an accurate reading. I wouldn't go over 40ppm
if it does do a water change
It may be an idea to test what nitrate level you have in you water source.

Uk sources can be as much as 50ppm
I can view my water reading on my suppliers website.

Keep us informed to how you go.

Back
Top Bottom