Help! Dead fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
HELP! I just found one of my cardinal tetras sucked up on the filter intake tube, dead. The other cardinals are near the filter as well. What is going on? How come every time I get fish they die?

Anna...

Could be your filtration system is too strong for the size fish you keep. Have you considered a sponge filter? They're simple, inexpensive and there's nothing in the makeup of the filter that can harm the fish.

Could be all you need to do is make things simpler.

B

But I've been having problems with my platys. Could whatever is affecting them have killed the cardinal tetra? I did just test the water and nitrites are 0, nitrates are between 10 and 20, and ammonia is between 0.25 and 0.50

Your ammonia should be zero.it sounds like the tank has not cycled. How long has it been set up?

Warning, long story ahead. Sorry in advance. Feel free to skim through if you wish. But this story may help you to better determine why I keep having problems with my tank and fish.

A little backstory. About half a year ago I upgraded from a 10 gallon tank to a 20 gallon long. At the time I had 5 GloFish, 6 neon tetras, and 2 zebra danios. The tank had been established for half a year. A so called "fish expert" that I had been taking to about the cycling problems I have been having with my fish tank (turns out I had the wrong filter and was only doing water changes once a month) helped me do the upgrade and said he knew how to do it without stressing and killing my fish and starting my cycle over. He used half tap water and half of my old tank water to fill up the 20 gallon. While he was draining the 10 gallon tank, the zebra danios were dying. They were healthy as far as I know before the upgrade.

While the tank is being filled up, he put the fish in a bucket with old tank water and the air stone and and in another bucket sat the filter media in partially old tank water and tap water. When the new tank was filled up, he soaked the filter media in the tank and put the fish back in. After the media soaked for a little bit, it was put back in the filter. Over the course of a month and a half after the upgrade, all of my fish died. I'm thinking it was due to the stress of the upgrade.

I bought 5 more GloFish and 2 platys-all from PetSmart-after awhile of letting my tank settle and the GloFish only lasted a few weeks to a month, while the platys surprisingly lived. I again, bought more 5 GloFish,this time from Walmart. Big mistake, I know. They got ick, which I tried to treat, but was unsuccessful and they all died within 2 weeks. However, surprisingly, the platys didn't catch the ick and lived. About 2 months ago, I bought 5 cardinal tetras from my LFS, NOT PetSmart, Petco, or Walmart.

Fast forward to a few days ago. My 20 gallon tank has been established for about a year now and I am still getting ammonia readings. I do weekly 50% water changes and I am currently using API Tap Water Conditioner. I currently still have the 2 platys and 4 cardinal tetras (I had 5 but one died). I have an AquaClear 50 filter and an air stone. For the past few days, my platys have been swimming at the surface and yesterday I noticed what looked like blood in their poop. Then this morning I found one of my cardinal tetras sucked up on the filter intake tube, dead. The cardinals have been hanging around the filter, but they've been doing that ever since I increased the flow rate on my air stone (the air stone is in an area of the tank where they used to hang out at). Anyway, what can be going on with my tank? Why can't I keep fish alive?

Have you tested your tap water? I can't remember if you said you did.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I haven't in awhile, but when I did there was 0 ammonia.

No the only time a fish will get stuck to a filter is if the fish is already weak in the first place, with the exception of fry, smaller fish, where you get your fish from could be the issue as well because they over crowd their tanks , don't treat them, you don't quarantine them for 2 weeks so who knows what the fish from that place are bringing in. but that ammonia needs to be zero, go to a pool place and get a chlorine test kit to see if there's chlorine in the tap water, you use a python they in my personal opinion are super bad because you have to treat in tank, you don't have the proper gas off of the water.

the ammonia is why your fish are at the top gasping for air and dying, i don't know diseases very well but get PRIME you don't need a whole lot a small bottle will last you a long time as your tank is 20 gallon and you should only be using one 1ml a week, prime binds ammonia, nitrite, Nitrate that's why it's the best out there.

I would do manual water changes with a bucket or pan so you can treat the water before it goes into the tank she see if that helps.

I use the python because I have a physical disability and I can't lift or carry buckets and my mom works all day and every day so she can't help me with water changes. Plus, I like doing them myself and being independent.

Out of curiosity what decor/plants/driftwood etc do you have? I'm wondering if it's something in the tank itself

I use the python because I have a physical disability and I can't lift or carry buckets and my mom works all day and every day so she can't help me with water changes. Plus, I like doing them myself and being independent.
I also use a python because of a disability. You can make it work.

Out of curiosity what decor/plants/driftwood etc do you have? I'm wondering if it's something in the tank itself

I have GloFish decor and fake plants

Back
Top Bottom