Help! Electric blue has red blister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brookster123

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just noticed a red blisterish type dot on my electric blue ram above its pectoral, behind Gil, now that I'm looking, possible white spits on tail, ich? Parasite? Anyone please

Poor lil guy didn't make it. Buyer beware! EBR very tricky breed...

Looks like ammonia burn. If this was your first ram that was a mistake. The electrics tend to be one of the weaker morphs, the balloons being the worst and an abomination to the breed. Sorry for your loss. What are your parameters like?

Looks like an ulcerative lesion - these are normally caused by bacteria, often Aeromonas species that attack a fish that has damaged itself, or received damage, eg during netting.

I buy and sell a lot of EBRs from a local breeder and very rarely lose one. Imported fish are generally more susceptible to problems in my experience and not surprising really.

I agree about balloon fish.. hideous, just a deformity that has been developed... but then so are fancy goldfish.... us humans eh, who do we think we are!

Looks like an ulcerative lesion - these are normally caused by bacteria, often Aeromonas species that attack a fish that has damaged itself, or received damage, eg during netting. I buy and sell a lot of EBRs from a local breeder and very rarely lose one. Imported fish are generally more susceptible to problems in my experience and not surprising really. I agree about balloon fish.. hideous, just a deformity that has been developed... but then so are fancy goldfish.... us humans eh, who do we think we are!
we need to stop playing god and just accept fish for their natural beauty. Selective breeding is one thing but mutating is another!

I did an ammonia test and it was .25, not sure how long it had been at that level, 40% w.c. Last week, none of the other fish seem affected, celestial danios and neon tetras, than again I'm guessing they are a hardier species than my poor fair ram...

I'm taking a break from rams until I can dedicate a 30-40 gal just for them..

That's very toxic levels of ammonia and I'm going to attribute its death to that. I mean I love gold rams just stunning but there is a line. And the goldfish case is also abominable. They are beautiful fish and everytime I see a telescope I wana cry, just awful

That's very toxic levels of ammonia and I'm going to attribute its death to that. I mean I love gold rams just stunning but there is a line. And the goldfish case is also abominable. They are beautiful fish and everytime I see a telescope I wana cry, just awful

We have to remember though, that most test kits measure nH4 - total ammonia. The toxic 'free' ammonium NH3 will be far less, especially in the acidic, warm conditions preferred by rams.

Of course, the ammonia may have reached higher levels when the fish was alive and therefore may have contributed to stress that compromised the fish's immune system, allowing the bacteria to find its way past the scales to the skin

That's only IF the aquarist keeps them in said acidic conditions. I'm going to assume most people keep rams in neutral to relatively hard water. Not everyone can afford RO right away. You are correct though, it would be ideal and I think that's why rams tend to be so sensitive, because we can't replicate that natural environment

Soft water, 6.8-7.0 ph, 0 nit's 81 deg, can't distinguish the difference between ammonia, tank has been running flawlessly for 3 months, can't figure out the spike...

Back
Top Bottom