Help, Filter too strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iloveoscars

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! This is my first post. Anyways, I just set up a little 5 gallon tank for my betta fish. I have a hang on the back filter, it says you can use it on a tank up to 10 gallons so I thought it would be fine. But, it seems like its too much of a current for the betta. I drop some food in and it swirls around too fast for him to catch it- the current is too strong. The filter is by Aqua-Tech, I read the instructions and I don't think there is a switch where you can decrease the water flow. Any suggestions on how to make it not so strong? I was thinking of attaching a sponge or something to the intake so it doesn't suck up too much water, but I don't want to burn the motor or anything. Any suggestions? Thanks! -Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,
Welcome to Aquaium Advice! :multi:

I have a few 5 gallon betta tanks. In one of the tanks, I use a sponge filter, run by an airpump and a gang valve. The gang valve regulates the air coming from the airpump so the sponge filter doesn't have too much current. See my gallery for pictures of the gang valve and airpump.

You could try putting clean, new, unwashed pantyhose over the filter where the water comes back out into the aquarium. I did that on my 5 gallon Eclipse tank with the bio-wheel filter. You could also try putting the toe of the pantyhose over the intake port. When I cut the pantyhose for my filter, I thought it would run and get ruined, but it's ok so far.

It's very important not to wash the pantyhose; just rinse in some tap water first.

You could also turn the filter off at feeding time.

Good luck with your betta! Do you have a heater for the tank? A 25-watt heater is the perfect size for a 5 gallon tank.

You could turn the filter off when your feeding him so he can get the food. Other then feeding him do you have and other problems with it.

Another option is to put some sort of decoration in the tank that will "break up" the current from the HOB filter--get a tall decoration of some sort and put it right in the path of the filter flow.

Ok, I just tried something and it seems to be working. I pulled the intake tube up a little so its a little further away than the propeller. The flow isn't as strong now. Do you think that's o.k. to do?

Yes, raising the intake tube up and down is a way to adjust the flow. I didn't know if yours had that option, so that's why I suggested the pantyhose. But it sounds like raising the tube worked for you!

My sister has a 5 gallon aquarium, and we just delt with that problem. :) She has a penguin 100b mini, with the adjustable intake tube like you have. I was going to suggest that filter to you (the 100b mini, not the 100 because the 100 doesn't have the adjustable intake tube), but it sounds like the filter you have is working now! It was probably designed that way to control the flow, so it's fine to adjust it. Also, I have a 10 gallon, and I always turn the filter off when I'm feeding my fish. It just gives them more time to eat before it gets sucked away. The current isn't too strong that I couldn't feed them with the filter on, it's just easier this way. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Seems like the smaller the tank, the harder it can be... I never have to worry about the filter being too strong in my 55g :D

Back
Top Bottom