Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Help Fix My XP3

Maybe I am not situating it properly, but I do not know how to do that if that is the case.

When I hear a loud rattling in my filter I know it's not functioning properly. Opening it up always reveals the impeller cover has come loose and is sitting lopsided. I situate it back in place and it seems to sit tightly, but a few days later, I get the same rattling and fine the cover lopsided again.

This is the impeller cover.

This is the rotor, shaft, bearing, but when the impeller cover is lopsided, the shaft is always attached to it. Is that normal? Like I mentioned, I slide the shaft back in and the impeller locks into place.

Could something else be worn out, causing the impeller cover to come off repeatedly? I'm pretty sure I'm putting it down as a snug fit as I can't easily turn it the opposite direction and pop it off.

This is a relatively new unit, three months old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.[/img]

Old 03-05-2007, 04:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
sounds like the bore inside the impellar is damaged ( where the shaft slides through ) you can try replacing the impellar, shaft and all, and see if that stops it

Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

So basically, the pin is sliding off the impeller and it shouldn't be and that's why I'm finding it attached to the impeller cover?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
exactly
Old 03-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. I'll take a look at it and see next time it happens. The weird thing is that the shaft was always attached to the cover. I never bothered to check why it was this way as I never looked at the parts breakdown until I realized it might be a problem more than me just not putting it back together properly.

Tags
xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com