Help for saved Guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squealor

Aquarium Advice Regular
A coworker of mine had to move out of state. His kids had a tank of guppies at home, but they couldn't make the trip, so he gave 11 of them to another coworker (who has never had fish before). The 11 guppies arrived at work in a vase (no heater, filter, gravel, etc; just water) the other day. Within that first 24 hours, 4 had died. She came to me in tears (knowing I had a tank at home) and asked me to "save them". I've never had guppies before!
I took them home that night (1 male adult and what looks like 6 babies/adolescents, but I'm not sure with guppies), and set them up in my 10 gallon hospital tank. It has a heater (set at 78 degrees), gravel, and an AquaClear 20 Power Filter. I fed them small/crushed up tropical flakes that I sometimes use in my larger tank and they seemed VERY hungry.
Any advice on what other equipment I'll need (besides some decorations for this poor tank)?
BTW, since I got them home and in a tank with a heater and filter, they seem MUCH happier... completely different fish!

Just be careful with your choice of filters as they are a small fish. A box filter would be a fine chioce.

An Aquaclear sponge cut to fit over the strainer of a hang-on filter works as well.

Good looking out DepotFish!

Back
Top Bottom