Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am unsure of how difficult the procedure would be to "fix" the jaw. If its simply to gently rework the jaw into the proper position that would be something you could do. I would be concerned about longterm damage to the jaw...

If you go to the sick fish forum there are several euthanasia methods that are commonly employed. You could use a similar method without the death. Something like paralyze using clove oil, then performing the procedure, and then back into the tank or isolation chamber. This would obviously be touch and go, and I would use a lower dose of the oil to prevent longterm damage, but it might be better than letting this continue depending on how serious this condition is.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Stephen
Wow. I didn't know this happened to goldfish. I have a white calvus with the same thing. So far, so good. He's eating enough and seems active.

Good luck. I hope the fish won't need any intervention and will manage to adapt in the long run.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Enigma
If you go to the sick fish forum there are several euthanasia methods that are commonly employed. You could use a similar method without the death....
Clove oil will work as an anesthetic, but you risk killing the fish with an overdose. If you must sedate a gold, try salt first. Golds tolerate salt well and there is no lasting effect. A gold in a 3% salt bath gets sedated and docile & much easier to handle. <Small golds may totally pass out at 3%, sometimes in less than a minute & need to be removed to fresh water immediately to be revived .... while they are passed out, you can do your exam & what not.>

However, this is now 2-3 weeks after the jaw incident. I would not attempt to fix it. A broken jaw would have healed in the new position and you'd need to break it to reset it. Even a dislocated jaw would prob not move under anesthesia after this long. At any rate, inexpert manipulations would likely do more harm than good.

If the gold is eating & acting fine, I'd leave it be.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

dislocated jaw

Thanks I had tried the day after to manipulate the jaw back into place using the salt bath and it does make them very docile . I was able to handle him very well but the jaw wouldn't set and I would not attempt now because of it healing in that place. Like I said it's awkward for him but he is a trooper and is eating fine . maybe we won't have any more problems. thanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com