help golds yawned and dislocated his jaw.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freefour

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My gold fantail yawned and now his jaw is somewhat dislocated it is in on one side instead of out . He paniced and I have tried to reposition it but to no avail . What can i do?

Unfortanetly...nothing you can really do. I would try and get it to stay calm and it may fix itself. I've lost 3 fish to lockjaw (not the same as you are experiencing, but I know what you are going through).

Sorry.

I had the exact same thing occur with a Bala Shark about two years ago. I was given the same information that DT posted. I have my fingers crossed for you.

ohhh that sucks :(
I think it happened to one of my neon tetras a few years ago.. it died.
Also, I think it happened to one of my bloodfins.........

This doesn't sound good , thanks for the info. Will keep updated . He does eat but he's not the same . It looks realy painful to him.

when my fish had the jaw dislocated, it looked like they were eating by "sucking" the food in... :(

Make sure there is not a rock or something stuck in the mouth/throat which you will need to remove.

If the jaw is truly dislocated, that is a job for the Vet, as you will need anesthesia to relax the muscles so you can move it .... plus I have no idea how to do that in a fish! A vet is something to consider if you happens to have a large & valuable show fish.

We had a guy, in the SW side, called afishyonados, who knew something about this, at least in the SW side. You may want to PM him. I can't really remember, but I think it was either a chemical imbalance or something else....Sorry I can't help any farther.

+++EDIT+++
Not sure if this would work for FW, but here is the thread...and again, I could be totally off!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=88205&highlight=lock+jaw

fish dislocated jaw

Thanks I read that thread and it didn't have to do with what is going on with my gold . His jaw is dislocated on one side and is hanging inside his mouth .I have tried to hold him and grab it and put it on the outside but it won't stay ( broken I'm guessing) He is still eating although akwardly but he is adapting . The calico is just mopeing around and fallowing him were ever he goes. The vet all but laughed at me when I told him about my gold fish ( as if it was beneath him ). No fish vets around except in Nashville and they want some serious $$$. I guess I'll just keep tabs on him until I see he can't eat and then ... put him to sleep.

jaw dislocated

Hey everyone just an update . My gold is still alive is eating fine , he is adapting to the portion of his upper jaw being inside his mouth. He eats his food and although awkward he is coping. The calico is still fallowing him around (long time friends) and only eats when she see's goldie eat ( I guess making sure he is eating) . They real like their new tank much bigger and they seem to be doing fine . Thanks for the advice , I'll post pics soon .

Attachments

• nd620005_005_005_380.jpg
    nd620005_005_005_380.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 106
I am unsure of how difficult the procedure would be to "fix" the jaw. If its simply to gently rework the jaw into the proper position that would be something you could do. I would be concerned about longterm damage to the jaw...

If you go to the sick fish forum there are several euthanasia methods that are commonly employed. You could use a similar method without the death. Something like paralyze using clove oil, then performing the procedure, and then back into the tank or isolation chamber. This would obviously be touch and go, and I would use a lower dose of the oil to prevent longterm damage, but it might be better than letting this continue depending on how serious this condition is.

Wow. I didn't know this happened to goldfish. I have a white calvus with the same thing. So far, so good. He's eating enough and seems active.

Good luck. I hope the fish won't need any intervention and will manage to adapt in the long run.

7Enigma said:
If you go to the sick fish forum there are several euthanasia methods that are commonly employed. You could use a similar method without the death....

Clove oil will work as an anesthetic, but you risk killing the fish with an overdose. If you must sedate a gold, try salt first. Golds tolerate salt well and there is no lasting effect. A gold in a 3% salt bath gets sedated and docile & much easier to handle. <Small golds may totally pass out at 3%, sometimes in less than a minute & need to be removed to fresh water immediately to be revived .... while they are passed out, you can do your exam & what not.>

However, this is now 2-3 weeks after the jaw incident. I would not attempt to fix it. A broken jaw would have healed in the new position and you'd need to break it to reset it. Even a dislocated jaw would prob not move under anesthesia after this long. At any rate, inexpert manipulations would likely do more harm than good.

If the gold is eating & acting fine, I'd leave it be.

dislocated jaw

Thanks I had tried the day after to manipulate the jaw back into place using the salt bath and it does make them very docile . I was able to handle him very well but the jaw wouldn't set and I would not attempt now because of it healing in that place. Like I said it's awkward for him but he is a trooper and is eating fine . maybe we won't have any more problems. thanks.

Back
Top Bottom