Help....High Nitrate levels in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kim697005

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Last night (Sunday), I noticed that my fish were all at the top of my tank and seemed to be stressed. On Saturday, I had did a 20% water change as regularly maintenance. Sunday night, I check the levels of my tank and discovered that the nitrates were high, this has never happened before. So Sunday night, I did a 25% water change. Monday morning, my fish looked stressed again and were back a the top of the tank. I did water change Monday morning and afternoon. I also added API Quick Start after each water change today. Its late Monday night and the fish are at the top of the tank and stressed looking. What should I do?

My tank is 125 gallon and has two tiger barbs and one rosy barb and one cat fish. So over stocking isn't the problem however sometimes my son over feeds.

Thanks!

Was the tank cycled?

I'm thinking either:

Nitrate from the tap
-or-
Uncycled tank that is trying to cycle.

What's the water parameters exactly?

Caleb

I let my 8 year old niece feed my tanks, but I pre measure the amount for each tank. She eventually picked up on how much is too much where she could feed by herself.

She still gets the enjoyment of watching them eat without adding in lots of waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should test for ammonia and nitrites. I doubt high nitrates are the reason your fish are at the top looking stressed.
How long has your tank been set up?

What are the parameter levels at? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

What filters do you run?

How did you cycle the tank, and did you use a product that removes the chlorine and chloramines?

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is more information:

Tank Water:
Ph is good
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 80-160 ppm

Tank has a canister filler rated for a 150 gallon tank.

Tap Water:
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Our tank has been going for 10 years and I have never had this problem. I think that the cause is overfeeding and my mom going crazy cleaning it while I was on vacation. We always use API Stress Coat and API Quick Start at the water changes.

I have been doing 2 to 3 water changes a day since Sunday and the nitrate are still high.

Any suggestions on how to get the nitrates down before the fish die?

Thank you for the suggestions. Here is more information:

Tank Water:
Ph is good
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 80-160 ppm

Tank has a canister filler rated for a 150 gallon tank.

Tap Water:
Nitrate - 0 ppm

Our tank has been going for 10 years and I have never had this problem. I think that the cause is overfeeding and my mom going crazy cleaning it while I was on vacation. We always use API Stress Coat and API Quick Start at the water changes.

I have been doing 2 to 3 water changes a day since Sunday and the nitrate are still high.

Any suggestions on how to get the nitrates down before the fish die?
Crank the water changes up to 50% and try to siphon the substrate (if its gravel) really well. 20% changes dont accomplish much.

I would also cut down on feeding. Once every 3 days will suffice.

I would also try to give the canister a good cleaning as well.

If the spike was caused by your mom cleaning the tank too much you would be seeing ammonia or nitrites.

Thanks. I am going to clean the canister tonight and I did do a 50% water change last night. Good to know about the cleaning, I really think it is overfeeding. I did not know that you can feed them every 3 days, good to know. My son has been feeding them twice a day. I am going to hide the food.:brows:

Back
Top Bottom