Help, I cant make up my mind....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know you want the biggest tank possible but from experience. I would go no bigger then a 29.. I too am a college student and have a 20L nano reef and let me tell ya haha moving day is not fun in the least bit.

That was my original plan, I think a 29g would be a pretty good size for me.... And my current tank heater would be able to handle the 29g....

Well stated. I'm a low income student myself and that is pretty much exactly how I feel about my fish tanks. It is also a great suggestion and reason for the 55g tank as well.

A bed, 2 fish tanks, and a dresser in my bedroom :)

I really would love to have a 55g but unless I can find a cheaper used tank that comes with equipment, I can't afford it... Also I'm not sure if I can have that big of a tank upstairs...
My tanks help me rewind at the end of the day.... I love how peaceful and beautiful they are....

Yes, that is pretty much the situation, except I originally didn't plan on having to upgrade the glow fish tank, I didn't know that they need long swimming room. The glow fish tank was intended for my desk, and then instead on having a night table I planned on my new bigger tank being on some sort of table depending on size next to my bed..... I had even at one point in time thought about using the 15g for the glow fish after getting a larger tank. Although the lighting doesn't fit well on other tanks, but that won't seem to work either due to the fact they need long tanks?

Honestly it's not hard to get Glo Fish lighting for the larger tanks. I have a 20 gallon long GloFish tank in fact. I went a little overboard and got both LED lighting and a fluorescent actinic bulb for the hood to try out the different lighting modes and see which I liked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCC2QH2ER4g On a budget though, all you have to do is get one of the actinic bulbs that fit the hood for whatever tank you get. They come in all sizes since a lot of saltwater reef tanks need them for their coral health. As a bonus, they're not even that expensive compared to the usual plant lighting :)

Here's another kink in the plan, I'm moving July 31st so I had planned to purchase my new tank items within the next few weeks and set up my new tank after I move...... Well today at 4 I found out that my house may or may not be done..... That they won't know for sure if our house will be one of the ones that gets finished or not, but they can move us to a finished spot on the property - if there are still any open by that time) or pay for us to live in a hotel while we wait for our unit to be finished..... So now I'm up for an entirely new challenge in itself.... I guess on the brightside if they have to relocate us to another unit we get $400.00 for our inconvenience, if they have too be us to a hotel, we get $800.00...... :/

Ouch... That's no fun. Your fish will definitely weather the move a lot easier in a bigger thank if you can get it beforehand. Larger water capacity gives you more wiggle room for parameters to get wacky when everyone's stressed. On the flip side, the bigger tanks are heavier and harder to move.... So it's really up to you.

Either way, it's obvious you care about your fish, so the fact you're trying so hard to do right by them with the resources available speaks volumes :)

EDIT: Errrr, I have no idea why that video double posted. Its my first time posting any video links here :x

Being that you are in a second floor bedroom, a 55 might be a little big, but if that is truly the size you want, keep checking for a nice used setup that includes everything. With the possible changes to your move in date, you will have some extra time to wait for the right tank.
I would go with a 29 gallon if it were me. That size of tank will fit nicely in a bedroom and is still big enough for your fish to upgrade......they will love the extra length of a 29. You said you can use your exisitng heater on a 29, so you would just need a lid (glass ones run about $20 at the store), a filter, and a light.
I have a brand new Aqueon quiet flow 30 filter that came with my planted tank kit. I have no need for it, and it is just sitting there collecting dust. I will be happy to send it to you if you want it. It will work perfectly with a 29g from the petco sale.

Being that you are in a second floor bedroom, a 55 might be a little big, but if that is truly the size you want, keep checking for a nice used setup that includes everything. With the possible changes to your move in date, you will have some extra time to wait for the right tank.
I would go with a 29 gallon if it were me. That size of tank will fit nicely in a bedroom and is still big enough for your fish to upgrade......they will love the extra length of a 29. You said you can use your exisitng heater on a 29, so you would just need a lid (glass ones run about $20 at the store), a filter, and a light.
I have a brand new Aqueon quiet flow 30 filter that came with my planted tank kit. I have no need for it, and it is just sitting there collecting dust. I will be happy to send it to you if you want it. It will work perfectly with a 29g from the petco sale.

I think a 29g would be a good size for now, maybe in a year or two I could get a 55g depending on my situation.....

That would be awesome if you could send that filter, I would greatly appreciate it. How much would you want for it? And how much would shipping be? I live in Missouri. I can pm my address and other info if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom