help! I think my crayfish will eat all my other fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have a 55 high. It has guramies, catfish, danias, and tetras in it. I just added a cray that I got from Petco.

He's walking all over the bottom of this tank like he is stalking any fish that is hear him. I think he will eat the first one he can catch, and I cut the light off at night when I go to sleep. I think he may kill one of them tonight.

Should I cut the claws off him? Or cut one of his pincers off each side?

He looks like he is not afraid of anything. He's marching around all over the bottom of the tank.

He will eat anything he can catch. I woulnd't cut the poor thing up. Put him in a bucket or a tub for the night and return him tomorrow, that way he isn't hurt and your fish will be safe.

Rich

Crayfish EAT fish, that is why they are best kept alone, My advice to you is to return him, it would just be cruel to cut his claws off, how would you like all your teeth nocked out or an arm chopped off????

just try to return him, though I have heard of instances in like yours that the crayfish didn't eat any of the fish.

do not mutilate this creature just because you failed to do any research prior to tossing him into the tank.
remove him, put him in a bucket, and return him, or find him a tank of his own.

make no more mention of amputating the claws or the thread will be locked.

Yeah, don't mutilate him, just boil him and eat him with hot sauce tonight.

crawfish.jpg

<Yeah, don't mutilate him, just boil him and eat him with hot sauce tonight.>

enough of that mess too....I am sure you understood the intent behind Malkore's
statement mvigor. This is a site that appreciates aqautic life and those statements offend alot of people.

:mrgreen: Funny thread.

Yeah just stick him in a bucket. Even if you left him in the tank overnight till tomorrow he may not catch anything. Usually they are in the tank for a bit before they shock their unsuspecting owner by eating a tankmate. Fishing is hard and it takes time to hone their skills. They generally go fishing at night when fish are sleeping. Try getting him to eat during the day so his belly will be full tonight and I bet you'll be okay till tomorrow.

If you put the crayfish in a bucket, either add an airstone, or only fill the bucket with an inch or two of water - crayfish can actually drown in deep, poorly circulated water!

I would invest in any 5 gal+ sized container with a lid, an inexpensive HOB filter, and an airstone/air pump. Crayfish are neat animals to keep - they will take food right from your hand. They can and do eat their tankmates, so they should be kept alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom