Help Idenitfying and Preventing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jthorp1975

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone help me Identify what is growing on the gravel and on the wood in my tank? I appreciate any information anyone is willing to share and thanks for taking the time to do so. Just some background. This is a 5 year old 46gal bowfront tank I have taken over at my work. It has a fluval 306 canister with purigen and chemipure elite. It is stocked with 8 ruby nose tetras, 5 black skirt tetras and 5 sterbi corys. This tank also has a terrible problem with diatoms. Ive attached a couple of images. Thanks again whoever can help me out!

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 69
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 68
It looks like an algae, but not sure what kind. Can't see many plants in your tank from the pictures, is it possible you might have too many nutrients in your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Preventing not sure, but treating it is easy. You can kill it with a hydrogen peroxide diluted mix.

Sent from my 831C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If it gets out of control event with hydrogen peroxide treatment, erythromycin dosed for 7-10 days (as per instructions) will eradicate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to read about the hydrogen peroxide treatment and give it a try. Keeping my fingers crossed that it does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom