Help IDing catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tellurye

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
https://imgur.com/gallery/VEMlr

Hey all! Can anyone help me figure out what type of catfish I have? I've had him for about 3 years. I completely forgot what the guy at the LFS told me he was right after I got him. I've Googled images for catfish like him and can't figure it out.

I see him maybe once every 6 months. He's nocturnal, and extremely, extremely shy. I sometimes forget I even have him! He's about 4-5 inches.

I managed to, for the first time, quickly snap a few pictures of him while doing a water change. He fell out of his hidey stump when I turned it over to shake the gunk out lol.

Any ideas? He seems healthy. But I don't feed him- I'm assuming he's been surviving off algae wafers I give my beastly 16" pleco and other scraps from my Hikari cichlid pellets. What can I give him? And when?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is one of my favorite Auchenipterichthys coracoideus (Zamora woodcat)
They came out around midnight for me and hid all day. But they are awesome to watch in very low light, I believe they also like schooling but I cant remember for sure

Thank you so much! That's him!! Apparently they like bloodworms a lot according to their care sheet. Just ordered some. Time to start feeding him insects after lights out! I'm surprised how robust he is just feeding on scraps for so long. I really just didn't know what to give him. Thanks again! :)

Thank you so much! That's him!! Apparently they like bloodworms a lot according to their care sheet. Just ordered some. Time to start feeding him insects after lights out! I'm surprised how robust he is just feeding on scraps for so long. I really just didn't know what to give him. Thanks again! :)

You're welcome, I hope you enjoy him. If not send him my way lol

Thanks, I do enjoy him... every 6 months or so. Lol. :)

IMG_1477836175.437457.jpg

Since you're all warmed up, I figured I'd attach my catfish ID to this thread...

I've had him about 10 years. He was labeled as a pictus at the lfs but never had black spots and looks different than pictus to me. He originally had gray giraffe like spots but as he aged they changed. He's about a foot long and very aggressive.

Any ideas?

I have two in my cichlid tank.

Had them since they were "pups".. Now one is 6 and the other 7 inches long. They are kewl for sure and will clean up the tank during the night. During the day they will defend their territory.

Mike;.(y)

View attachment 290442

Since you're all warmed up, I figured I'd attach my catfish ID to this thread...

I've had him about 10 years. He was labeled as a pictus at the lfs but never had black spots and looks different than pictus to me. He originally had gray giraffe like spots but as he aged they changed. He's about a foot long and very aggressive.

Any ideas?

It looks more like an adult Pimelodella Catfish possibly Pimelodus blochii. Look that up and see if it fits. (y)
That said, there are a couple of Pimelodella catfish that look similar as juveniles so that may be why it was mislabeled as as Pictus opposed to a generic Pimelodella cat. But it definitely fits the Pimelodella family. (y)

Yep, that definitely looks like mine. Thanks! Didn't think the post went through in both threads, thanks for the response!

Back
Top Bottom