HELP! I'm in a bind!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone else felt sad about rehoming or having to rehome any of their fish? I'm being told to rehome 2 of my fish and increase the school/shoal of my lemon tetras and Celebes rainbows. I don't want to rehome any of my fish, especially my platys. They were my only fish that survived the upgrade to a bigger tank and I've had them a year before all the other ones. Even if I rehome them, I'll still be overstocked when I add a few more lemon tetras and Celebes rainbows. I'm in a bind here and need some advice.

By the way, my tank is a 20 gallon long, I have an AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons, and 6 cardinal tetras, 4 lemon tetras, 2 Celebes rainbows, 2 platys, a horseface loach, a Kribensis, and an oto (I plan on getting at least 2 more).

Sometimes you need to part with them for the overall health of the remaining fish. Not an easy choice to make.

Buy a bigger tank? Shoot you can find them for free on Craigslist sometimes.

I don't have the money to buy a bigger filter or a bigger stand for a bigger tank even if I could find one for free. I also don't have the space for a bigger tank.

Sometimes you need to part with them for the overall health of the remaining fish. Not an easy choice to make.

I do weekly 50% water changes and my water parameters are good and all my fish are happy and healthy.

I used to post fish on CL all the time but anytime someone would respond, I'd end up just quizzing them to try and stump them so I could justify not giving up my fish.

Ask some general knowledge stuff that will either show the person has some understanding of the hobby or at least shows they will put the effort in to research it.

If you're anywhere near Kentucky, I've got a ton of empty tanks ranging from 5-40 gallons just holding air.

I used to post fish on CL all the time but anytime someone would respond, I'd end up just quizzing them to try and stump them so I could justify not giving up my fish.

Ask some general knowledge stuff that will either show the person has some understanding of the hobby or at least shows they will put the effort in to research it.

If you're anywhere near Kentucky, I've got a ton of empty tanks ranging from 5-40 gallons just holding air.

I'm in Arizona, lol

Yes. It's a tough predicament , though your water parameters are good, that's not the only problem. Your fish don't really have the room they need to grow properly . Eventually they will stop growing and become stunted, which can cause a variety of health problems. Perhaps you could separate some of them into a smaller 5 or 10 gallon tank. Those sizes are very affordable and are easy to find a place for in your home. Good luck.

A 20 long has the same footprint as a 29 tall. I got mine for something like $7 on craigslist. You wouldn't need a bigger filter or new stand.

A 20 long has the same footprint as a 29 tall. I got mine for something like $7 on craigslist. You wouldn't need a bigger filter or new stand.

But don't long tanks have more swim space than tall tanks?

How would a 29 tall make a difference if it's the same footprint

How would a 29 tall make a difference if it's the same footprint

it's 9 more gallons giving you that little extra room you need to keep your platys,
it will fit in the same space as your 20 long the only difference its a little taller ,
sometimes you can find someone to trade with locally .

Well, the only problem with that is is that I'm short as it is and I already have to stand on a step stool to do water changes on my 20 gallon long and when I feed the fish so a 29 tall would be too tall for me. Also, I would have to buy a longer python gravel tube to reach the bottom of the 29 tall.

Actually, according to AqAdvisor, if I keep 6 cardinal tetras, 6 lemon tetras, 5 Celebes rainbows, a Kribensis, 2 platys, and 3 otos in my 20 gallon long with an AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter rated for up to 40 gallons then I will have plenty of filtration. It also recommended weekly 53% water changes (I can split it into 2 separate water changes a week). These were pretty much the same results if I had a 29 gallon tall. I already do weekly 50% or more water changes already so I think if I add 2 more lemon tetras and 3 more Celebes rainbows, I should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom