Help! I'm out of ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
The flow rate on my Eheim 2213 has slowed quite a bit. I've only had it maybe 5 months and have given it a clean twice before (rinsed everything in tank water) and had no real problems priming it.

This is the first issue I've had with reduced flow. I have cleaned the media, sponges and impeller and checked that the grommets are in place. I have gently shaken the canister to get out trapped air (incidentally when I did this it started leaking from the inlet but this hasn't happened again). I have checked that my media is not packed too tightly - I did add some crushed coral to the top layer - checked the o-ring and used some Vaseline to ensure a good seal.

After all of this, the flow rate increases (still not at normal levels) but drops again after about 15-20 minutes.

It is the only filter on my 55 gal and I'm worried my fish will suffer. This has been going on since last night and I have spent close to 7 hours trying to figure this out!

Any advice or suggestions welcome. Please help!

I have deliberately left the water level a bit low to keep an eye on the flow rate.

image-2611213494.jpg

I would break it down and clean the impeller housing first but it's not a bad idea to have a spare.

Last edited:
I'd take it back apart clean again and recheck. I'm not familiar with that canister but if its anything like other canisters make sure you clean the the lid by taking out the impeller also clean all the holes in it. Check and clean where the hoses connect. With the rena canister filters they will make a noise if its getting air or the impelled is not centered.

Thanks guys. It's making more noise this morning and the flow rate is down to a trickle :(
Off to my LFS with the lid I think. I hope my fishies will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom