help!! Is My 50 Gallon Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sugalips124

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Am I over stocked!?
Okay so I kinda went crazy on buying fish and im not sure if I'm over stocked

I have a 50 gallon tank. Freshwater. It's been going strong for 2 months. Started early November.

I have many fish

- 3 giant danios
- 5 rosy barbs (+4 infant baby barbs)
- 2 iridescent that will be moved to a 150 gal in june
- 1 Chinese algae eater
- 1 dozen ghost shrimp
- 1 clam

Well panted tank. Including Camboda plant, hornwart plant, amazon sword plant

App wouldn't load even half the pictures I have. The tank picture is the first night it was started. And the ghost shrimp picture is momma shrimp with a bundle of eggs taken i think 4 days ago. Will submit many more pictures if the app will eventually load them.

IMG00756-20121208-2057.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130119_060309.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130119_060309.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 81
am i over stocked!?
Okay so i kinda went crazy on buying fish and im not sure if i'm over stocked

i have a 50 gallon tank. Freshwater. It's been going strong for 2 months. Started early november.

I have many fish

- 3 giant danios
- 1 chinese algae eater
- 1 dozen ghost shrimp
- 1 clam

well panted tank. Including camboda plant, hornwart plant, amazon sword plant

app wouldn't load even half the pictures i have. The tank picture is the first night it was started. And the ghost shrimp picture is momma shrimp with a bundle of eggs taken i think 4 days ago. Will submit many more pictures if the app will eventually load them.

1357217180706.jpg

1357217181360.jpg

1357217181192.jpg

1357200990520.jpg

1357201103595.jpg

Not overstocked as long as you have a good filter because thats a good pack of fish;D

Am I over stocked!?
Okay so I kinda went crazy on buying fish and im not sure if I'm over stocked

I have a 50 gallon tank. Freshwater. It's been going strong for 2 months. Started early November.

I have many fish

- 3 giant danios
- 1 Chinese algae eater
- 1 dozen ghost shrimp
- 1 clam

Well panted tank. Including Camboda plant, hornwart plant, amazon sword plant

App wouldn't load even half the pictures I have. The tank picture is the first night it was started. And the ghost shrimp picture is momma shrimp with a bundle of eggs taken i think 4 days ago. Will submit many more pictures if the app will eventually load them.

I would say yes you are. Because most if those fish grow big. The rosy barbs reach 6 inches. As long as your getting a bigger tank you ought to be fine :)

Yeah I'm getting a custom 150 gal made in early July but not sure yet what dimensions to get. Either wanting a cube. Or a nice 8foot long tank to go along the side of my bed. Only doing freshwater because eventually I want a license to help breed salmon(science donations) and then ill be getting a 500 gallon for my basement. Another question!! Is my clam okay with this gravel? I'm switching to sand with the 150 gal in July. But I just want all my fish as healthy and as happy as possible

ForumRunner_20130119_155941.jpg

Yeah I'm getting a custom 150 gal made in early July but not sure yet what dimensions to get. Either wanting a cube. Or a nice 8foot long tank to go along the side of my bed. Only doing freshwater because eventually I want a license to help breed salmon(science donations) and then ill be getting a 500 gallon for my basement. Another question!! Is my clam okay with this gravel? I'm switching to sand with the 150 gal in July. But I just want all my fish as healthy and as happy as possible

You should get the 8 foot tank! The footprint will be a lot better.

I was thinking along those lines more to say! Sweet. Happy I get nice positive feedback on here. Facebook pages just give me attitude and boot me from the page. But yeah was thinking the 8footer would be more ideal for the fish growth. But wasn't sure if fish enjoy more water depth options. Or water separation options more (meaning more places to hide/swim)

Should I just skip the 150 gallon and move right to a 300 (still not ready for a 500) the biggest I've had was a 150 gal but I gave it to my brother when my nephew was born so he could have an immaculate display of tetras shrimps and discuss to watch (he loves the tank!!!)

Should I just skip the 150 gallon and move right to a 300 (still not ready for a 500) the biggest I've had was a 150 gal but I gave it to my brother when my nephew was born so he could have an immaculate display of tetras shrimps and discuss to watch (he loves the tank!!!)

Yes! The bigger the better!

Are you barbs and danios gonna get full grown (with proper feeding and the over picky care) I give to my fish. Cause I had 9 tin foil barbs for 10 years in the old 150 gal then they all started to die in a 2 month period (stellar water conditions) just old age I think. And I really want these rosys to do the same. Or you think my I'D sharks will eat the barbs in that big of a home

If you have iridescent sharks you need to upgrade to a 600 gallon plus aquarium and keep them in a school. IMO you are overstocked

As long as you move the "sharks" you will be fine. But if the danios start acting funny it's because there isn't enough of them in the school for a hierarchy.

Back
Top Bottom