Help, is my tank too small/did I get the wrong fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ggs624

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Very new to aquariums and just recently got a ten gallon Tetra kit. I asked the guy at the pet store what fish would be a good start and we ended up getting two pictus catfish and two red phantom tetras. He seemed like I would be able to add more fish with no problem, but I've been looking online and now it seems like the catfish will be too big and I need more tetras. They seem happy in the tank and dont really bother each other, and it seems pretty empty right now. I'm just trying to figure out if I made a terrible decision or not. Thanks in advance.

Very new to aquariums and just recently got a ten gallon Tetra kit. I asked the guy at the pet store what fish would be a good start and we ended up getting two pictus catfish and two red phantom tetras. He seemed like I would be able to add more fish with no problem, but I've been looking online and now it seems like the catfish will be too big and I need more tetras. They seem happy in the tank and dont really bother each other, and it seems pretty empty right now. I'm just trying to figure out if I made a terrible decision or not. Thanks in advance.

You didn't make an unforgivable mistake however the Pictus Catfish will need a bigger tank or be rehomed. Most Petcos and mom & pop stores will usually take fish for free. The Pictus also need pretty big schools so I suggest to start planning for their tank size needs! The Tetras may work out (i don't really know much about them) however they do need larger schools! Welcome to our hobby! Hope you don't like having much money in your wallet!

Sent from my iWishiHadaPhone using Aquarium Advice

take back the pictus cats. they need much, much more room and they WILL eat the tetras when they get bigger, notice how huge the cats mouths are. ;)

Also he sold you too many/the wrong fish for a new tank.
Have you read up on nitrification and the biological cycle that occurs before a tank is established?

Thanks for all the help so soon guys, so I'm gonna bring the catfish back to the place I got them and try and get the same price in the tetras. But will the tetras be ok for the new tank with the nitrification or should I try and get some other hardier fish. Also another quick question I obviously treated the water with dechlorinate but is there any other water treatment stuff I should do for the fish? Thanks again.

you can try to get a biological enchancer such as api quick start to get the cycle going quick and allow you to add fish immediately but that is just my opinion and my experience, but that is what the liquid pretty much does. you don't need to really add anything else but if EVER your fish get sick buy some treatment meant for the sickness. i would recommend at least 6 phantom tetras in the the ten gallon but some may disagree saying they might get to crowded due to the fact that some get 2 inches+ but its better than nothing. and some other fish you could consider are guppies, platys, dwarf gouramis, otocinclus catfish (though are quite sensitive sometimes), neon tetras, cories (depending which species) for that tank but of course don't get all and these are just suggestions if you want to add JUST a FEW more fish

Back
Top Bottom