Help me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tay

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Siamese algae eater has cut all around its. mouth, 2 hav it and the other one is fine, i can see flesh!! Help PLEASE!!!

image-2181207570.jpg

I know its a crappy photo but u can seee the flesh still

Uhmm I'm not an expert but I think the water conditioner has stuff in it for open wounds, so I would recommend lots of water changes.

I think some people here would also recommend salt too.

Other than that you just kinda gotta wait for it to heal. Unless your a fish surgeon.

I think I'd put in some Melafix. But, again, more experienced folks might suggest something else. Melafix is for healing open wounds, abrasions, etc...

I've had injured fish, a more expert opinion might come along. But I changed approximately 10-15% water daily and it healed up nicely. Test your water frequently, make sure it isn't stressed and keep your water clean.

If u want it to heal faster u can use melafix. Follow directions on back. But be careful as medicines can mess with the water params sometimes.

Salt can help prevent infection. Depending on what size tank u have and what kind of fish/inverts u have, depends on ur salt usage.

Uhmm I'm not an expert but I think the water conditioner has stuff in it for open wounds, so I would recommend lots of water changes.

I think some people here would also recommend salt too.

Other than that you just kinda gotta wait for it to heal. Unless your a fish surgeon.

:thanks: ill try

I've had injured fish, a more expert opinion might come along. But I changed approximately 10-15% water daily and it healed up nicely. Test your water frequently, make sure it isn't stressed and keep your water clean.

If u want it to heal faster u can use melafix. Follow directions on back. But be careful as medicines can mess with the water params sometimes.

Salt can help prevent infection. Depending on what size tank u have and what kind of fish/inverts u have, depends on ur salt usage.

:thanks: i wont be able to by melafix cause im going to NSW for 2 wks tomoz

I will actually go ahead and say that clean water is all you need.
Fish can heal on their own, they don't need that much help usually unless it looks like there is a problem. Calm down and don't get too upset. Cuts happen in fish, just like in other critters. Generally, a fish's immune system will heal it up just fine so long as the water is kept clean. I have actually never used either salt or melafix to treat a wound. My fish have done fine without it. Melafix is a VERY mild med that is rarely worth it's price IMO.
Please do NOT add any chemicals or salt to the tank yet. First, can you please tell us what else is in the tank and a bit about your set-up? Salt is indeed often a good way to go if there is an infection or something, but no need to complicate things if you don't have to. Also, not all fish and plants react well to salt. That is why I am asking about what else is your tank before recommending salt.
Also, are you certain that is it a cut and not a different sort if issue? Do you see any white spots, fuzziness, or anything else odd like that?

I will actually go ahead and say that clean water is all you need.
Fish can heal on their own, they don't need that much help usually unless it looks like there is a problem.

Agreed, I am not a med user and never have been. Good clean water will do so much more for the fish than meds will unless of course it's a disease that couldn't be cured without the assistance of meds. Torn fins, cuts, scrapes, etc. will heal just fine with daily water changes.

Back
Top Bottom