Help me choose a school! 

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hahaaha dont worry..my one tank(no fish currently) hasent gotten a water change in probably a couple months hahaha oops. And couldnt afford the water conditioner?
yea pretty much. Ran out at a bad time and couldnt buy more

Dale_I said:
You will want to be careful with angelfish and neon/cardinal tetras. Small tetras, especially the neon "easy to see" variety are a natural prey for an angelfish.

Agree. Basically, nothing under 2 inches

Edit: i mean 2 inches. I changed it

absolutangel04 said:
No serpaes with a gourami. Preferably not with an angel either. They are too nippy for that.
Your tank is fine for angels, but it does limit your tankmates a bit. If you wanted a pair of angels and a bnp, you don't have much room left. You could still fit in a school of about 6 tetras that are either shape shaped or else over 2 inches. You have be careful about tankmates for angels since angels like to eat smaller fish. They are more predatory than many people know. :)
If you just want one angel, you could have 2 schools of other fish.
Bnp have a huge bioload. Plecos are messy fish. So, I would only recommend 2 if you limit the other tankmates and are very diligent on your water changes.
Some other school options would be corys, lemon tetras, Pristella tetras, rummy nose tetras, bleeding heart tetras, leopard danios, zebra danios, cardinal tetras, black neons tetras, and kuhli loaches.
If you just get one angel, then there is the honey gourami, dwarf gourami, paradise fish, pearl gourami, and pencilfish.
Pitbull plecos are small and peaceful. They need friends, so a pair or a trio is recommended. There are also clown plecos whoch stay small.

I guess it all depends because I have 5 serpaes, a golden gourami, and 2 angels they get along fine...

Okay: 5 gouramis (3f and 2m) I haven't decided which yet, and 2 tiny plecs. Thats all I Got so far :p

image-2463034552.jpg

So that's what I do in my spare time! Choose a group (red is incompatible) or if you want to add anything. Btw these are just my favorites so far I think but I will take any suggestions :)

don't look at the totals.. i didnt change them when i updated the plecos :/

Awhh I love plecs way too much to just have one :( any other big-ish placid fish I can have?

Kuhli loaches? also +1 to bruinsbros comment, BNP+angelfish= ALOT of bioload. another good school is rummynose tetrass. i have maybe 7 of them and they are amazing. they remind me of Santa.

There are many types of Dwarf gourami's. they would be great.
You can get green coral dwarf, red flame dwarf, red honey gold, red tourquise. thy stay small and beautiful colors. Also there are many small plecos out there. I have a colubiam zebra pleco that is beautiful and will only get to be 2.5"

Those Loaches remind me of eels :S Thats why I prefer the Clowns if you look at my table. And awhh those rummy's are kinda cute :') Yeah, the Anglefish are turning me off a bit due to their aggression towards other fish. I just liked them at first since they are there in one of my LPSs, but I can look to see what they have in my other two shops. England does not have a massive variety of fish but I'll see what I can find :fish:

I see you've decided on some gouramis - great choice! I really like mine, just wanted to throw this in, I kept a school of cherry barbs with my angels forever and they had no problems and when the males would "dance" for the females it's really cool and they get just vibrantly red! Anyway, good luck!

View attachment 54581

So that's what I do in my spare time! Choose a group (red is incompatible) or if you want to add anything. Btw these are just my favorites so far I think but I will take any suggestions :)

Ram cichlids are compatible with angelfish, and so are harlequin rasboras. I keep all 3 plus neons in one tank. Haven't had any aggressions issues at all.

Also, clown loaches are compatible with most fish larger than a neon tetra.

Last edited:
Oh? My website says otherwise which is really annoying, but if you have experience I will take your advice. I will let you know what my LFS (plural) have :)

DragonFish71 said:
Ram cichlids are compatible with angelfish, and so are harlequin rasboras. I keep all 3 plus neons in one tank. Haven't had any aggressions issues at all.

Also, clown loaches are compatible with most fish larger than a neon tetra.

How big is your tank? That could be the reason they dont get eaten!

Well just to play devil's advocate (lol) before I rehomed my angels, I had them in a 55gal with black neons which looked small enough to get eaten but there were no problems. As you say, maybe in a larger tank they can be inconspicious enough to escape.

hmm mine is 30 gallons :/
i probs wont get angels but i really like tiger barbs, plecs and honey gouranmi <3

Tiger barbs+gouramis=disaster waiting to happen usually, because either
a)the tiger barbs nip and nip and nip at the gouramis
or
b)the gouramis chase the tiger barbs around because they are agitated by their fast movement

How big is your tank? That could be the reason they dont get eaten!

They started in a 29g, got moved to a 55g and are now in a 115g. As they grew, they got a tank upgrade.

Perhaps that is the trick itself? Starting them small, together? Who knows. All I can tell you is that I'm not the only person on the planet who can keep these varieties of fish together without issues.

Both of my LFS have angels, discus, rams and neons together. *Shrugs*

The waiting room at one of my doctor's offices has gold rams, angles and neons.

Haha wow sounds like alot of people habe luck. Although it would be hard to tell if a couple neons went missing at a lfs, and into an angels mouth...

Back
Top Bottom