Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Help me choose a school! 

Hey there. I am planning my stock and I need a school of fish to go with some placid fish e.g bristlenoses and small angels. My tank is 30g and quite bland so I would like a school of color and personality any ideas? xxx

Old 09-30-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like my school of golden barbs

Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebekatee View Post
Hey there. I am planning my stock and I need a school of fish to go with some placid fish e.g bristlenoses and small angels. My tank is 30g and quite bland so I would like a school of color and personality any ideas? xxx
Three questions:
1. How many angels in the tank?
2. How many bristelnoses in the tank?
3. Any other fish in the tank?
Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Some nice colorful tetras!! Im assuming youl have one angel, so maybe larger buenas aires tetras?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

In addition to bruinsbro's questions, are all the current residents going to stay in that tank forever, or is it temporary for some of them?
Personally, I really like rummy nose tetras. They are very pretty and form wonderful, tight schools.
Beware of tetras that are slim and under 2 inches because your angels will likely eat them one day. Aim for spade shaped or over 2 inches.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have no residents yet, almost done cycling so planning ahead. Just rather like the plecs and angels but if you think otherwise I will take any suggestions, especially do do with quantity
Old 10-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebekatee
Have no residents yet, almost done cycling so planning ahead. Just rather like the plecs and angels but if you think otherwise I will take any suggestions, especially do do with quantity
If you wanted a community, I would say just one angel. And one BN pleco too, just so you have space for more fish in the bioload.

I would say some of the bigger bodied tetras, like bloodfins, bleeding hearts, etc.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Awhh I love plecs way too much to just have one any other big-ish placid fish I can have?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebekatee
Awhh I love plecs way too much to just have one any other big-ish placid fish I can have?
Hmm well why not smaller plecos? Pitbull plecos are smaller! And their great community fiah too.. And about the bigger fish thing...some larger gouramis? Im planning to get an opaline gourami, so maybe look into getting one of those?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Serpae tetras!
I have 7 of them in my tank.
They are wonderful.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

No serpaes with a gourami. Preferably not with an angel either. They are too nippy for that.
Your tank is fine for angels, but it does limit your tankmates a bit. If you wanted a pair of angels and a bnp, you don't have much room left. You could still fit in a school of about 6 tetras that are either shape shaped or else over 2 inches. You have be careful about tankmates for angels since angels like to eat smaller fish. They are more predatory than many people know.
If you just want one angel, you could have 2 schools of other fish.
Bnp have a huge bioload. Plecos are messy fish. So, I would only recommend 2 if you limit the other tankmates and are very diligent on your water changes.
Some other school options would be corys, lemon tetras, Pristella tetras, rummy nose tetras, bleeding heart tetras, leopard danios, zebra danios, cardinal tetras, black neons tetras, and kuhli loaches.
If you just get one angel, then there is the honey gourami, dwarf gourami, paradise fish, pearl gourami, and pencilfish.
Pitbull plecos are small and peaceful. They need friends, so a pair or a trio is recommended. There are also clown plecos whoch stay small.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are these all compatible? And thank you all for the advice here is my tank.. does this change anything?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-914763724.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	54491

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3300200206.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	54492
Old 10-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

ARent rummy nose tetras hard to take care of?
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Sorry, are all of what compatable?
Your tank looks nice. I like the decor you have.
GodFan- that depends. They are a sensitive fish, but plenty of people (myself included) keep them without an issue. It helps to get some that are tank-bred rather than wild-caught. I also recommend only adding them to an established tank because it can take them awhile to adjust, so they need steady parameters.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
Sorry, are all of what compatable?
Your tank looks nice. I like the decor you have.
GodFan- that depends. They are a sensitive fish, but plenty of people (myself included) keep them without an issue. It helps to get some that are tank-bred rather than wild-caught. I also recommend only adding them to an established tank because it can take them awhile to adjust, so they need steady parameters.
ok thanks. I think they are beautiful but... I dont consider myself an expert and sometimes I dont do water changes as faithfully as I should....
Old 10-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Honestly, neither do I. But, my rummies came from a good, reliable store I have not had an issue with them.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Honestly, neither do I. But, my rummies came from a good, reliable store I have not had an issue with them.
Haha so how often do you guys REALLY do changes? Haha and pheobe, i think those fish would mostly all match up. Pick out a couple types, and we could lead you in the right direction as far as numbers and compatability go
Old 10-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Haha so how often do you guys REALLY do changes? Haha and pheobe, i think those fish would mostly all match up. Pick out a couple types, and we could lead you in the right direction as far as numbers and compatability go
ok dont shoot me! I try to do 1 to 2 weeks (1 is better) but... long story short I ran out of money and my tank suffered for a few months....
Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan
ok dont shoot me! I try to do 1 to 2 weeks (1 is better) but... long story short I ran out of money and my tank suffered for a few months....
Hahaaha dont worry..my one tank(no fish currently) hasent gotten a water change in probably a couple months hahaha oops. And couldnt afford the water conditioner?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will want to be careful with angelfish and neon/cardinal tetras. Small tetras, especially the neon "easy to see" variety are a natural prey for an angelfish.

Dale_I is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
school

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com