Help me choose new fish for my 50 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dm76

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a 50 gallon 36 x 18 x 18 tank that has been going for several years and since I just cleaned the filter and trimmed the plants way back, it's a good time to add some fish as I haven't gotten around to it in awhile. So right now I have about 8 harlequin rasboras, 9 or 10 cardinal tetras, 2 sterbai corys, 4 otos, a bristlenose pleco, a bamboo shrimp, and a whole bunch of red cherry shrimp. I will probably get 3 more corys since some of them died awhile ago. Do they need to be the same kind or will a different kind of cory go good with those? But besides that, I am really looking for a couple of bigger fish to go in there. I used to have 3 pearl gouramis but the last one died about a year ago. I wouldn't mind having those again but if I could get 2 or 3 different types of big or unique fish to add, that would be a nice change. Love to hear your ideas!

Tank_01_16.jpg

Hi, I have a 55 gallon tank so ask some of the same questions as you. Yes, you do need to have more of the same kind of Cory cats for them to school together. I have 5 pearl gourami and lots of tetras, mostly Cardinals. After these are gone, for larger fish I am considering an angel fish never had one. Because I love a peaceful tank I'm not sure about angels because they are semi aggressive overall. Another idea I have is one of the loach types a botia... Maybe angelicus or zebra. A school of those.

I did have some really nice Congo tetras, 8 of them. But they got so large and zoomed all over the tank and sent the pearls into hiding. But since you don't have pearls now, you might want to check the congos out. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey thanks for the reply. I will get 4 more corys to add to that school. I have never looked at congo tetras before but I will check them out in the store. Do they get decent size? Are you saying those instead of pearls or get both? I like to keep a peaceful tank too especially with all those little shrimp. I am afraid angel fish would eat them.

This may be that I'm biased but big schools of Harlequin raspboras is fascinating to see. There are so many good choices I'm sure you have. I like your tank btw! :)

Hey thanks for the reply. I will get 4 more corys to add to that school. I have never looked at congo tetras before but I will check them out in the store. Do they get decent size? Are you saying those instead of pearls or get both? I like to keep a peaceful tank too especially with all those little shrimp. I am afraid angel fish would eat them.

I would not mix pearls and congos, the pearls don't like fast moving boisterous fish. They get to be 4-5 inches. If you want to protect the shrimp, might be better to stay with the smaller fish. Although I have ythe shrimp too and the pearls don't bother them. Anyhow, the suggestion of a large school of rasboras or some other smaller schooling fish might be a good idea. Look in uTube at large schools of fish. They really are pretty, and in my opinion, they act more natural and comfortable in larger numbers. Someone I know has 50 Cardinal tetras in their 55 gallon tank. When you do decide what to restock with, please show us pictures.

Hi, I have a 55 gallon tank so ask some of the same questions as you. Yes, you do need to have more of the same kind of Cory cats for them to school together. I have 5 pearl gourami and lots of tetras, mostly Cardinals. After these are gone, for larger fish I am considering an angel fish never had one. Because I love a peaceful tank I'm not sure about angels because they are semi aggressive overall. Another idea I have is one of the loach types a botia... Maybe angelicus or zebra. A school of those.

I did have some really nice Congo tetras, 8 of them. But they got so large and zoomed all over the tank and sent the pearls into hiding. But since you don't have pearls now, you might want to check the congos out. Good luck!

As much as I love loaches, I would have to strongly recommend against them in your current tank. The botia's especially will seek and destroy all of your shrimp. I would recommend a single angel fish. Lots of different color patterns to pick from and all around a cool looking fish.

Kuhli loaches would be a good option; they're safe with adult shrimp.

Angelfish would make snacks out of your shrimp, I know that much.

I got 4 corys yesterday and looked at other fish while I was there. What do you think of a pair of German Blue Rams plus maybe a single gouarmi?

What is the temp for the Rams?

I just read about GBRs and it says the range is 78-85. I keep it at 78 now. What temperature do you recommend? I don't really know a whole lot about them. I was just asking the guy at the fish store for some recommendations he mentioned those. People seem to be surprised that the gouaramis I had didn't eat the shrimp. Maybe they did eat some but I have hundreds or them as they keep multiplying so maybe with that many shrimp, they will be able to survive?

I thought about about a GBR as well. I have two DG males, 12 Neon tetras, 10 cory cats. The GBR like warmer water from what I have read. I keep tank aroun 76/78deg. I will be adding 8/9 harlequin rasboras this week then a angel fish or bolivian ram last. The boivian rams prefer cooler water from what I gather.

Ehhhh you CAN keep GBR at 78. But rams are very delicate fish. Your best bet is to keep them as happy as possible and they do MUCH better at around 82-84 degrees. At lower temperatures they're much more susceptible to disease.

Most of your fish would be fine at 82 (I have no idea about shrimp) but 78 is high for harlequin rasboras, let alone 82.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I better skip those because everyone has always gotten along in the tank and I want to keep it what way. I'll probably just get gouaramis again since they worked the first time. I'll post more about that in the gourami forum.

I didn't even realize the temp was too high for the rasboras and I just looked up the range. I think I figured out why it is at 78. I used to have a 10 gallon tank with a betta and a few harlequins. When the betta died, I got this bigger tank and 3 harlequins were left so I put them in it. I guess I kept the other tank at 78 for the betta and just left this one the same. So after 7 years, I finally realized it was too high! They seem to last a long time but maybe I should turn it down a couple degrees.

Back
Top Bottom