Help me decide!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 20g high.
Current stock:

1 Cory
(3 are in qt right now and will be added)

5 glowlight tetra

1 neon tetra
4 male endler's

1 mean-as-nails female betta, Saphy

I had originally planned in turning this tank into a last attempt at a Betta sorority but I have decided I don't have the emotional courage for that right now. Plus, as mentioned above, Saphy is mean and she is not a team player so the sorority idea is out. And since I can't move Saphy anywhere right now, my idea for a dwarf gourami is not going to happen.

I have three oto that need to be moved into my 20 once the plants grow in more. They are in a 10 right now and seem to be chubby and happy, but I'd like to give them more space.

So my ideas that are left:

Add some more glowlights
Add some neons
Add some rummy-nose tetras
Add some more endler's ( I could probably have some females because I'm sure Saphy could keep the population under control!)

So ultimately this is what I would have once everyone who is moving gets moved in or out:

4 Cory
3 oto
5 glowlight
1 neon
4 endler's

1 Betta

Is this stocked as it is and you wouldn't add anything? Overstocked?

What would you do?

Yeah, but I think I'm kinda bored with neons... Maybe I'll rehome the one and get some rummynose ... See what I did there? Asked for advice and then ignored it? Lol... But it IS good to know I should just consider myself stocked and done at that point- this tank has been in flux since it started an I am looking forward to it being settled.

Your tank is really pretty.

I would do what you're thinking. Rehome the neon and get some rummynose. That'll change it up for ya'.

Janelle

Personally, I don't think a 20 High offers the real estate that the rummies would need. Rummies are very sensitive and also shy and do best in a quiet community and if your betta is that mean, they also wouldn't do well with her.

You absolutely have to up the neons, as 1 fish does not a school make, and they need a school of at least 6, 8 is better, even more is supreme.

I agree with LyndaB, Rummynose Tetras are one of the more active Tetras. They aren't nearly as lax as Glowlights and Neons. I'd personally do like 4 Cories, 3 Otos, 8 Glowlights, 4 Endlers (don't know if the Betta will bother them or not), and the Betta.

See, this is why I love this site! If I just go off the tank size suggestions on liveaquaria et al then I'd get the rummynose... But y'all will steer me in the right direction, whether I like it or not! Lol!

Ok ok, I'll get the neons! They will look fabulous in a group. I love being told I need to buy more fish! Thank you to all of you!

adadkins1 said:
I agree with LyndaB, Rummynose Tetras are one of the more active Tetras. They aren't nearly as lax as Glowlights and Neons. I'd personally do like 4 Cories, 3 Otos, 8 Glowlights, 4 Endlers (don't know if the Betta will bother them or not), and the Betta.

Re-read this- you suggest just upping the glow light pop and re-homing the neon? That is totally doable too. I really like my glowlights. And the Betta does not seem to bother the endler's either. I might even move them out all together and start a little endler's village in my 10. For some reason the light I have in my 20 makes my glowlights glow but washes out the color of the endler's.

I just think that a single, larger school of fish looks better than multiple scrawny schools. You could also do 8 or 10 Neons and rehome the Glowlights. It is all up to you.

adadkins1 said:
I just think that a single, larger school of fish looks better than multiple scrawny schools. You could also do 8 or 10 Neons and rehome the Glowlights. It is all up to you.

I was trying to visualize it and I agree... There are just so many fish... So little tank space. ;)

Back
Top Bottom