Help me fight my algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herky213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So it's been an ongoing battle here at the University of Iowa for me to keep my 10g tank clear of this unsightly blanket of green algae.
I run a very clean tank otherwise; Not overstocked, 4 healthy low light plants, good chemistry.
So I'm just looking for suggestions on how to fight the algae.
Questions? Just ask.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No snails and I use a normal human sleeping cycle of lights... Turn em off at 12-2 and back on at 8-9.

First off can you post a picture of the algae since there are many types and treatments can vary. When having algae issues only run lights 6 hours daily. Also what type of fixture and bulbs are you using? Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels? Are you using any ferts? What is your WC schedule and how much do you change out weekly?

NO3 is higher than I like, But I haven't changed the water yet this week.

Attachments

• 1394389137380.jpg
    1394389137380.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1394389147087.jpg
    1394389147087.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 1394389155947.jpg
    1394389155947.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 1394389164759.jpg
    1394389164759.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 91
ate3u8ad.jpg

These are the root tabs I use. Just stick them by the plants.

Light bulbs are regular fluorescent bulbs. The ones the tank came with. And I change water once a week, sometimes cleaning the gravel when I do. They are usually 30-50% changes.

Any ideas?

Put your lights on a timer. Don't run them more than 6 hours a day. You can run a split schedule as long as one part of the schedule is at least 4 hours on.

Keep up on water changes.

Don't over feed.

The reason you have this algae is because your nitrates are WAY TO HIGH.

Reducing light may help, but in your case the nitrates are really to high.

Anyways, the "algae" I see on this picture look more like cyanobacterias outbreak.
attachment.php

Reduce light to 6hrs/day. Put it on a timer.

Cyanos look like this
250px-Cyanobacteria1.jpg

And hair algae look like this:
Thread-or-stringy-algae.jpg

I'm doing regular PWCs consistently and reduced light to 6hrs a day. It looks like it's quickly going away. Thanks guys, much appreciated

You have cyanobacteria which isn't algae. The best way to eradicate it completely is to do a 5 day treatment with erythromycin antibiotic. Many use Maracyn. Erythromycin will not harm BB and you can get an ammonia spike due to the cyano dying off. I also suggest removing/vacuuming off as much of the cyano as possible before starting the treatment.

Then get your nitrates down to below 20ppm. You may have to do 2 or even 3 back to back WC's, with a 2 hour break in between each one, in order to get the nitrates down. Make sure you are not overfeeding and do a 50% WC weekly. Also running lighting 6 hours a day will help keep algae issues at bay.

Back
Top Bottom