Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Talking Help me finish stocking my tanks, please? *pics*

Hi all - I have a 20 long and a 10 gallon tank that I want to finish stocking.

First, the 20 long. I currently have five peppered cories, five harlequin rasboras, and one neon blue gourami in it:

I've been thinking about cherry barbs, black skirt tetras, or celestial danios, but am open to any suggestion.

The second tank is my daughter's ten gallon, with just a betta in it:

We had been talking about two or three African dwarf frogs, but I'm not so sure on that. We already tried 7 neon tetras, and the betta chased them, so I re-homed them with another aquarist. Would love to have something else in there, but I don't think my daughter would go for shrimp or snails. Ember tetras or celestial danios? Any bottom fish that might be possible other than cories?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the 20 I would up your Cory school to 8 and the harlequins to 8 I think you could also add 6 cherry barbs try to get 2 males 4 females.

In the 10 it sounds like a aggressive betta if it chased neons I would try 6 ember tetras if you do want to try another fish. For the bottom your fairly limited with that stock of the betta and tetras really you could only go for shrimp or snails. Or if you don't want tetras you could go for the betta and 5 kuhli loaches.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #3

I love my cories and hasboras, so getting more of those does appeal to me, and then rounding it out with the barbs. Are barbs slower, mid-level swimmers like the hasboras?

Not sure my daughter would go for the loaches - I think she wants "prettier" fish. Maybe the ember tetras would be worth a try.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome driftwood!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

If the Betta attacked other fish the chances of it doing it again are very high. IMO your best bet would be small bottom dwellers like kuhlis or Pygmy cories. If he attacked fish he most likely will eat shrimp. Some bettas don't put up with any tank mates so have a backup plan.
(my daughter would LOVE that tank btw )
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whats wrong with them the way they are? The less fish the better IMO. I like keeping minimum stocking centered around a centerpiece it two that i really like so it doesnt matter if its stocked to capacity.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

IME, barbs do swim lower areas, but I'd just add like 3 or 5 more harlequins and be done
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Really nice tanks, both of them
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions and compliments, everyone!

I think I may just stick with the types of fish I already have in my tank and maybe get a few more of the cories and rasboras.

As for the betta, I suppose he's better off alone, which means I may need to get another tank for my son - we had been planning for him to have a few dwarf frogs in there, but I don't think that's a good idea.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Frogs would do better in a species only tank. What a great tank that would be for a boy!

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pics, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com