Help me get rid of algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Landy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got algae on the sand so last week I stirred it up and put 4 plants in there and then plan on taking off the top layer the burying it then do a 50% PWC then do the same the next week.

Cuz I don't want the algae water to start algae growth faster on my new rocks or anything.

So wut do you think?

Any other better ways? I know UV light but thats expensive isn't it.

I got 2 otos but they seem to not be keeping up with it. Any ideas on that or somethin thats eats algae really good?

Oh and this is my first post. So hi. LoL.

Welcome!!!

keep doing PWC (partial water changes). id say the more you change your water, the less algae you will have. or it will slow it enough to control with ottos and cleaning

also what kind of tank do you have? what kind of lighting!?

Welcome to AA!

First by plants do you mean live or fake?
Second what else is in the tank besides the ottos?
Third, same question as runninwoof what kind of lighting do you have and how much

Also it would be good to know if and how long the tank has been cycled and what your parameters are. :)

10 gallon

Sand base
Live plants.

That is all thats in it for now till I think I got the algae under control, then I'll put in some fake rock that you see at like petsmart.

I had a hood with lights in it, that I finally just started putting hologen in for like the last 6 months or so, then it started melting my hood and didn't have a saftey screen and my dad didn't like that so now I got a floresent hood.

I was gonna black it out to kill the algae thats already there but I don't know how long I'll have to blakci it to kill it so I might run the likght 9-12 hours, thats why I was gonna let the bottom sand algae die then flip it instead of blacking it out killing my algae, fish, and plants.

So how do I kill wuts already in there and keep it out? Thanks.

It would be helpful for you to answer bluerose's questions. Also, do you know which algae you are getting?

killing what's in there is one thing. To keep it fromreturning you need to address the underlying cause of the algae. If you don't it will return.

Can you describe your maintenance routine and advise what, if any, fertz you are using, how much, how often, etc.

My tank has been cycled for about 6-8 months, I've had it up for about 2 years, but I redid it all, putting in sand and putting in rocks I found in a creek. So I kept getting algae, like the second time and I thought that the rock was making it grow, leaving its deposits for the algae to grow, cuz I never had a problem with algae before the rocks or sand. So 6-8 months with rocks, sand, and distilled, then now I only use ro water. I took the rocks out about a week ago. And put 4 plants in to feed off the light and everything else so the algae wouldn't. I 1 pwc since I took out the rocks.

And its green algae, that forms on the bottom, I had algae on the sides of the bottom of the glass and it was brown with maybe a hint of green and I scrubed that away and that hasn't been back since, that was about a month ago.

I don't use any fertz.

I kinda wanna take out all the sand and water and replace it all so its all clean and I'll keep it clean, LoL, but that might kill the livestock and then I kinda don't wanna spend $20 on sand.

Wut do you think?

When I had an attack of cyanobacteria, I took out the sand, boiled it on the stove to rid myself of the bacteria and then put it back in the tank. The fish were fine, but the cyano returned. I'm still yet to fix the underlying cause, so I feel your pain.

Can you post a photo of the algae? it might help in id'ing it.

From my basic understanding, a blackout is usually done for three days. Before you black out, do a 50% pwc and following the blackout, you do a really good vac & another 50% pwc.

regardless of the algae, I haven't heard of any treatment that involves replacing all your water or substrate.

Can you do test for Nitrates and Phosphates?

You might also want to consider reducing your light period to the 9 hour end as opposed to the 12 hr end of the scale until you figure it out. Light contributes to algae.

Oh so a blackout is only for 3 days?

So do a 50% pwc, blackout, vac, 50% pwc? And thats it?

And all my algae will be gone?

Thanks man. Can I just throw a blanket over this? And I'm sure my fish will be fine, I think my plants will be too. So thats all I need to do to kill the algae?

Awesome, thanks man.

Its kinda like green grass, really only grew on my sand and rock. If that helps.

I hope this works, thanks a lot.

Oh and I tested my water and its 100% good like a week or so ago.

Blackout is anywhere from 3-5 days usually. I've personally not done one. But if you follow the 50% pwc, followed by 3 day BO, followed by another 50% pwc you should be fine.

I've also heard of a 5 day BO, but pewople who have done this tend to open the tank after 3 days and do a pwc before closing it again. I'm not sure when you should perform the 3 day over the 5 day.

throwing a blanket over ou tank isn't enough. Assuming its a 3 day BO, you must set it up so that no light at all can get into your tank. Once you've blocked out the light, no peeking, no feeding, no nothing until the time has passed.

But as I said earlier.... this might kill any algaenow, but if you dont find out what caused it to begin with you are likely to see it return before too long.

The reason I asked for your nitrate & phosphate test results is to see if you had either enough, or too much of either both. Along with light, Nitrate and phosphate levels often influence different types of algae.

In any case, I recommend reading this article.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Ok thanks man, I'll start it Thursday, the fish shop will be open for me to get my ro water.

50% pwc, bo, 50% pwc, I can do that LoL, I might go for a 5 day.

I had algae on my rocks and I bo them and its been 9 days today. I have noticed a reduction. The rocks that had a lot still have it. The rocks that had not so much are pretty clean.

So I think I'll do a 5 day and let you guys know how it works.

Thanks a lot.

I think it was getting algae from the rocks I had in there but I removed them over a week ago so that should lower the problem.

And they said my water was good so I think I'm clean with that.

I will read that article.

Back
Top Bottom