Help me help my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tiny, tiny white spiral shaped snails.......like 1/20th the size of one gravel rock. Those kind good?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

they are malaysian trumpet snails, they are harmless. Some people like them because they clean the substrate, some don't. If you overfeed they multiply

Ok, so my tap readings were: Ammonia = 0ppm / pH = 8.1 / Nitrite = 0ppm / Nitrate = 0ppm. I'm mid-way through a 50% WC

your tap readings are fine.

Tank water test this morning shows : Ammonia = 0ppm , Nitrite = 0ppm.....(too good to be true?!?!?)...Nitrate = between 5-10 ppm (can't tell that orange color difference)

Attachments

• 1422112119160.jpg
    1422112119160.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 52
Had a feeling it was too good to be true....I tested Nitrite again and it's not that beautiful teal like it was 1st thing this morning.....It's not quite to 0.25 ppm, but it's definitely switched away from the teal and into a light blue..... on its way to purple I'm afraid :-( I'll monitor Nitrates as well and keep doing WC's. Will the WC's negate the good bacteria I hopefully just gained with the LFS gravel? Anyone think I should I keep hunting seeding materials?

Water changes won't affect the bacteria in the gravel, just refrain from vacuuming the gravel. More seeding material won't hurt but if you aren't even registering the .25 for nitrites then I'd just let it finish running its course. Once nitrites fall and become nitrates it's pretty rapid. Mine went from dark purple to .50 in one day, then the next day were gone completely.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Can anyone help me read these results?

I'm thinking the Nitrite is between 0 and 0.25? And I really can't even tell on the Nitrate.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Regardless of the exacts....it seems my Nitrites are low (I haven't WC since yesterday afternoon) and now my Nitrates are getting high. ......getting closer to perfect right?? Just a WC soon to get the Nitrates out ???

Here ya go

Attachments

• 1422145309733.jpg
    1422145309733.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 56
still showing nitrite, you know the drill by now..lol this is why most of us here recommend doing a fishless cycle before adding fish, no need to do all these water changes.

your cycle is getting there, just keep up with the water changes if you see ammonia or nitrite present.

That looks like 0 on the trItes to me and 5 on the trAtes. But there is no way to accurately read them by a picture. Its hard enough to read it in natural lighting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That looks like 0 on the trItes to me and 5 on the trAtes. But there is no way to accurately read them by a picture. Its hard enough to read it in natural lighting.

yea I agree, I usually hold them up against a white background with a lot of light.

to me it looks the the nitrites are in between 0-0.25

yea I agree, I usually hold them up against a white background with a lot of light.

to me it looks the the nitrites are in between 0-0.25

Well on my pos phone the right side of the tube looks light blue but the left side is dark so yea. It could be either.

Alright, thanks everyone!! Lessons learned. P.S., I would have been lost without this app....reading online is one thing.....customized advice on demand is what I got from all of you! Thanks a million!

Many people "CLAIM" to have used "MANY" products with success. However, success is only measures in numbers and unless you can provide those numbers in detail with supporting documentation, I will venture on the side of caution first.

By stating that "the proof is in the Internet" on what works and what doesn't is an invitation on initiating, debating, and losing such a debate. Again, I will reiterate that you've supplied no info to back up that claim. To go one step further, as pointed out previously, temperature plays a vital role in these "bacteria colony" products and when you add in the fact that the entire US is fairly cold right now, they don't last during shipping.

One more thing while we're at it. As for those "products", while there are a few that claim Dr. Tim's and a couple that agree about TSS, you're the ONLY promoter of ATM products on this forum.

Op, I'm not trying to take anything away from your thread. I feel Quest has you pointed in the proper direction and suggest you follow those guidelines. I'm just trying to add some clarity on the post I quoted. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Its funny because I am pretty sure this forum and every other forum is on the internet where we all share information about the hobby. I guess since the info doesn't st for AA it must be false right?

The fact is I have used it, it worked on the first go just as advertised. Its true nitrifying bacteria. Until you try it for yourself stop casting false judgment.

Better to test it yourself and post your findings than to stop other hobbiest from using something that may help speed up a cycle and save their fish.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its funny because I am pretty sure this forum and every other forum is on the internet where we all share information about the hobby. I guess since the info doesn't st for AA it must be false right?

The fact is I have used it, it worked on the first go just as advertised. Its true nitrifying bacteria. Until you try it for yourself stop casting false judgment.

Better to test it yourself and post your findings than to stop other hobbiest from using something that may help speed up a cycle and save their fish.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ohhh will you stop it.. you got a bag of plants from another tank, that alone will debunk the claim you make.. bb on plants??!?!? yes!! I remember,.you made such a splash with your egregious introduction thread phillip..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom