Help me I'd this fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dbigfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I went to my local pet store(where the pets go) and I found these three fish after 45 minutes of head scratching non of the employees could find the order that brought the fish in or figure out what they were. they kind of remind me of a snakehead or something in the channidae family but I really want to be sure before then go in a tank with any of my other fish. They gave me all 3 for 2 bucks so I took a chance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427222533137.jpg
    1427222533137.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 1427222553519.jpg
    1427222553519.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 1427222573355.jpg
    1427222573355.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 148
This is a juvenile red snakehead. They seem to share the same body type fin structures and mouth but the body pattern is different. But it can't be a snake head

Attachments

• 1427223825599.jpg
    1427223825599.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 132
If I were you, I'd sign up to monster fish keepers and post in the pike cichlid section. There are a billion different types of pike cichlid that it could be.

But no, no snakehead.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I attempted to make a MFK account but even after going through the process it won't let me post so I just posted thing I the cichlid section here

I can tell you it is definitely not one of the dwarf species and will get at least 10" long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's hard to find any reference material for the young pike cichlid species

I just posted it on MFK to see if they could ID it. Those people know their pike cichlids so hopefully someone can say what they are.

Thank you

Crenicichla Johanna

You'll need a minimum of a 180 gallon for them, they're aggressive, get 12+", but apparently if you can handle all that they're a fun fish to have.

Thinking possibly crenicichla strigata based on the patterning of the head

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm pretty sure Johanna lacks patterning in the head, which this one shows

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They were returned to the store I only have a 90 available and don't want to commit to those

Back
Top Bottom