Help me please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softballlvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium ph is way too high what can I do to lower it? I just put in a tab of correct ph by Tetra

I recommend staying away from pH adjusting products. They don't change your buffer, so your buffer is going to swing your pH back to where it wants it. These swings will stress your fish.

What is the pH in your tank at?
What is it coming out of your tap?
What is it when it's been out of your tap for an hour or 2?

What do you have in your tank for substrate and decorations?
Are there shells or other calcium containing objects in your tank?

What kind of fish do you have?

A pH of 7.8 is not too high for guppies or other live-bearers.

Is something going on that makes you think the pH is a problem?

If not, I'd leave it be.

I have guppies as well and my ph is around 7.8 too I was worried because I read a lot that an ideal ph is 7.0 but my fish seem very happy

No, guppies do well in hard water, even in light brackish. Mollies can also do light to full brackish.
Hard water has a high pH.

Guppies can tolerate a ph of 6.8-7.8 water temp 75-85, if you want to lower the ph there's several ways to do it without products, Drift wood in the aquarium, aquarium safe peat moss in a mesh baggy in the filter, dilute tap water with RO water, almond leaves.. what's the ph of your source water? You could have something in the tank that's raising it, what type of substrate?

Remember it's more important for your ph to be stable, fluctuations will kill your fish over higher ph which isn't to high at 7.8 are you testing with a liquid test kit

Back
Top Bottom